How to step up the wheat flavor for wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makislav

Reaction score
Brewing a wheat beer with the following recipe:

2 cans of Cooper's Wheat beer LME
700g of wheat flakes (steeped at 70c for half an hour)
500g of dextrose
Quite a lot of Saaz hops, boiled for 75 and 15 min
A couple of teaspoons of Irish Moss, added 15 min before the end of boiling the worth

The brew is now in the primary fermenting vessel, has been for three days.

The question I have is this: Is there any way to add wheat flavor to the beer anymore? I did already steep wheat flakes but I am worried that will I end up of having enough of specifically wheat flavor, since I did use quite a lot of hops in the worth boiling process. Also, the Cooper's LME is made something like 60/40 out of malted Barley.

I know people like to add fruits to the secondary in wheat beers. I also like a tincture of fruitiness in a beer but I am wondering whether there is any way to increase specifically the wheatiness of beer in the secondary fermentation stage? Any suggestions? Or is this a bad idea and should I just RDWHAHB?

You have a fair amount of flaked wheat added at 700g and this should help a lot with flavor. Wheat flakes are not malted and therefor will not provide much in the way of fermentable sugars. so, you should be left with flavor and haze in your beer. 500g dextrose is on the high side (assuming you have about a 20L 95 gallon)). it's not too high but this will thin out your beer some. An important missing ingredient is the type of yeast you selected and this, to me, is a huge contributor to the 'wheat' beer character. The weizen strains would be my choice and not a Belgian or American yeast.

Latest posts

Back