I've finally got a keezer!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guteLaune

Reaction score
I've been stalking these boards for a looong time. When I saw pictures of all your keezer builds for the first time, I knew I needed one of my own. It took 2 years before I had the time and money to build one, but after a week of chipping away, the dream has finally become a reality!!!

Quarter-sawn sycamore collar. Twin bottle-openers doubling as handles.

Unfortunately, I have no homebrew to serve just yet (just brewed a koelsch today!), but luckily there is no shortage of great craft breweries in MI willing to fill my kegs for me!!! :ban:

IMG_20120131_222701.jpg

I just bought a 19cu ft. chest freezer for $75 today! It may not be the prettiest thing around, but it's all mine and I love it, lmao. I just need to get it setup as a good keezer. But damn the springs on the hinges could hold up the titanic, lol.

Its beautiful. I am hoping to build one. I've only been stalking the builds for a couple months. Your 2 years gives me hope. Cheers.

The best advice I can give is to keep things simple (unless you've got lots of time and endless resources). Going cheap isn't always worth it...Sometimes it's best just to fork over the cash for whatever works in the simplest way instead of making a project out of every little aspect. If I can build one, anyone can build one!

I just bought a 19cu ft. chest freezer for $75 today! It may not be the prettiest thing around, but it's all mine and I love it, lmao. I just need to get it setup as a good keezer. But damn the springs on the hinges could hold up the titanic, lol.

Those springs are incredible! I somehow managed to engage one at the hardware store looking for bolts, and I couldn't disengage it until I attached half of it back on the freezer and pulled it back down. As others have said, I think the collar is more at risk of failing than the joints by far.

Was the freezer original white? What did you use to paint besides just the chalkboard stuff?

Was the freezer original white? What did you use to paint besides just the chalkboard stuff?

Yes, it is the ~7cu. ft. GE freezer commonly used on these boards. Got it at Home Depot for $160 delivered.

I used a primer on everything and then rolled 3 coats of the chalkboard paint. After the last coat, you wait "3 days" and then rub the surface with the side of a piece of chalk. Erase everything, and then you can wipe it down with a wet towel...dry...and you're good to go. I guess the purpose of rubbing down with chalk first is to make erasing more effective (according to the package anyway).

guteLaune said:
Yes, it is the ~7cu. ft. GE freezer commonly used on these boards. Got it at Home Depot for $160 delivered.

I used a primer on everything and then rolled 3 coats of the chalkboard paint. After the last coat, you wait "3 days" and then rub the surface with the side of a piece of chalk. Erase everything, and then you can wipe it down with a wet towel...dry...and you're good to go. I guess the purpose of rubbing down with chalk first is to make erasing more effective (according to the package anyway).

Did you get it recently I've been looking to buy a freezer but last time I checked they were 229

guteLaune said:

Are they still 160 I need one

Those springs are incredible! I somehow managed to engage one at the hardware store looking for bolts, and I couldn't disengage it until I attached half of it back on the freezer and pulled it back down. As others have said, I think the collar is more at risk of failing than the joints by far.[/QUOTE]

Yea, you're telling me. I had to take off the springs just to get it through the door and down the stairs. I snapped off the head of one bolt and bent the metal slightly getting it off. I didn't realize it had to be released bottom up. Just to get the thing reattached, it had to be fully attached at the top, then pulled into place. Then you could reattach the bottom set of screws. I guarantee the collar will fail before anything else, lmao.

Are they still 160 I need one

I just checked home depot...not $160 anymore. Most recent price I've seen is $198. Still a decent value, if you don't want a used freezer.

Those springs are incredible! I somehow managed to engage one at the hardware store looking for bolts, and I couldn't disengage it until I attached half of it back on the freezer and pulled it back down. As others have said, I think the collar is more at risk of failing than the joints by far.

Yea, you're telling me. I had to take off the springs just to get it through the door and down the stairs. I snapped off the head of one bolt and bent the metal slightly getting it off. I didn't realize it had to be released bottom up. Just to get the thing reattached, it had to be fully attached at the top, then pulled into place. Then you could reattach the bottom set of screws. I guarantee the collar will fail before anything else, lmao.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Actually, I just connected all my gas lines to my manifold...had to apply a good bit of pressure to get them on (manifold was already mounted to the collar). The collar held up nicely. Granted it'll fail before the hinges, but still, the collar I have (3/4 inch sycamore with a match beechwood back) seems rigid as hell. In fact, I was going to install some chains to prevent the collar from opening all the way, but now, I don't see the need. It's holding up nicely.

Let me just say...I just used the keezer for the first time today...IT IS THE SINGLE MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!! Well...pretty close, anyway.

Great freezers and a perfect fit for ball locks. As for those springs there is a little lock hole that you can drop a small nail through to stop them from engaging. :p

Love the full Monty with the chalkboard paint! I only did strips with mine.

Back