Conical Fermenter Trub Dump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiffany33

Reaction score
Hi. Just did my first 5 gallon batch with a 14.5 gallon concial and didn't dump the trub before pitching the yeast...yikes! Any remedy for this or is the beer in trouble? Just started the brew last night.
Thanks!

How did you come across a 14.5 gallon conical for your first batch? That's awesome!

Best wedding gift EVER! Still plan on using the carboy but the advantages of the conical so far are pretty awesome. We wanted to do a test batch of 5 gallons before doing the 10.

Crapppp... no idea how I brought this dead thread back to life. Hopefully the op has gotten the beer off the trub by now!

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks for the quick reply. We'll just drop the trub after primary is done. Thanks!

I would dump the trub before primary is over... sure you may lose some yeast but most of the yeast that's sitting in the cone is probably not good anyways. Active yeast will still be suspended in the beer.

From what I have read it is common to do a dump a day or two after pitching your yeast as proteins and dead yeast will have already collected in the cone.

Back