Porter recipe, need some pointers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
So here it is...

5 Gallon batch
3 Gallon Boil

Cal. OG : 1.063
Cal. FG : 1.017
IBU : 26.7
SRM : 26
ABV : 6.1%
Yeast : Wyeast Irish Ale
Starter : Probably

6# British Light LME
3# Briess Amber DME
1/2# Crystal 80L
1/4# Chocolate Malt
1/4# Black patent

2 oz Perle 7.5% - 60min
1/2 oz Mt.Hood 6.7% - 20min
1/2 oz Mt.Hood 6.7% - 5min

So I wanted to know if anything is obviously wrong or if anyone had any suggestions. I have all of this and I wanted to use it, so this recipe is what came out.
I also wanted to up the abv but didn't want to make it too sweet or too dry. I've heard 1# of brown sugar will do it but can it be any brown sugar and will it go well with the rest of the malts/grains? I was also thinking about adding vanilla to the secondary, I've heard about it so much I may just have to try it.

As usual thanks for the help!

You can add sugar if you want. Maybe do turbinado sugar instead, it is natural and does not have the molasses added back in like brown sugar. But being in the 6% abv range is good for this style, in my opinion. I think with your grain bill you are looking at a porter more in the brown range. If you want it to be more opaque you could double the black patent and double to triple the chocolate. But what you have seems to be a winner. I would say that the vanilla sounds like it would be great as well. I almost did that to my last stout, but I already had a lot going on in terms of oats and lactose.

I'll for sure add more balck patent and chocolate. I am not familiar with that type of sugar. Is it common enough that my LHBS would have it?

A good substitute for sugar as well is Cane sugar which you can find in a grocery store. But be aware the more refined sugars you add will create a dryer finish on the final product. If you are trying to up the ABV I would add dry malt extract instead.

A note on Vanilla... Great in porters and stouts however the flavor can easily get out of control if not enough attention is paid to it. Vanilla beans are extremely potent and you will only need one. Let it soak in vodka to sanitize and rack on top of it into secondary. After that I would do a taste test if not every day, then every other day until you think it has what you want in it. A turkey baster or beer thief will help with this a lot.

Hope this helps:)

Forgot to mention you will need to split the bean as well:D

Turbinado sugar (I think Domino sells it as "Sugar in the Raw") should be available in the grocery store, especially a large one or one that serves an ethnically diverse population. Lots of fun to browse Hispanic or Asian sections for ideas. Whatever you decide to add, remember that the "sugar" portion will ferment out, and leave the "flavor" component behind. For example, only add brown sugar if you actually want the molasses flavor of it.

So looks like I might leave this one at the abv it is but add more DME next time.
At most I'll add a 1/4# of brown sugar and a 1/4# of sugar. See what happens.

I am curious though. Once I get the vanilla where I want it do I just bottle it and that will stop the flavor from becoming stronger?

Yes, in theory. However, other flavors are still changing that may add or take away from the presence of the vanilla just like any other flavor in beer. So will the addition of more vanilla stop. Yes. But, how that effects it will reveal itself over time.

+1 on upping the black patent and chocolate.

FYI with your OG you are definitely brewing a Robust Porter, not a regular porter.

GT

So yeah I'll doulde the patent and chocolate, as far as the robust flavor; I like it.

Thanks for all the help!

Back