109% efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
I've reworked the numbers several times, but there MUST be a mistake. Is it possible to get such high efficiency?

11 lbs light munich in a SMaSH
OG - 1.066, 6 gallon yield
BIAB Method
Mashed at 152 for 70 minutes
"batch sparged" at 165 twice, by soaking grain bag in a separate container with a gallon of water for ten minutes, draining, and then adding wort to boiling Kettle.

What is my miscalculation? Another possibility is that BMW gave me too much grain on accident. I don't have a scale to check it, and I get it pre-crushed by them.

You either had more grain than you thought (what I suspect) or the end volume of wort is incorrect. What is the total amount of water you used for mash/sparging?

I'd check the accuracy of your thermometer and hydrometer. I'd also check the accuracy of whatever method you determined you had 6 gallons with.

I'd check the accuracy of your thermometer and hydrometer. I'd also check the accuracy of whatever method you determined you had 6 gallons with.

Did you happen to take your post-boil gravity reading at a high temp and then temperature correct? The further away from your hydro's calibration temp, the less accurate temperature correction is.

I'm betting your final volume was less than you think. If you think you got, as an example, 5 gallons of 1.050 beer but you really got 4.5 gallons on 1.050 beer you've overestimated your efficiency by 11+%. If the measure is wrong and the you've got a lot of trub in the bottom too, you could be much lower in volume.

I've reworked the numbers several times, but there MUST be a mistake. Is it possible to get such high efficiency?

11 lbs light munich in a SMaSH
OG - 1.066, 6 gallon yield
BIAB Method
Mashed at 152 for 70 minutes
"batch sparged" at 165 twice, by soaking grain bag in a separate container with a gallon of water for ten minutes, draining, and then adding wort to boiling Kettle.

What is my miscalculation? Another possibility is that BMW gave me too much grain on accident. I don't have a scale to check it, and I get it pre-crushed by them.

what potential yield numbers are you using for your munich malt?

My last sack data analysis sheet put my munich malt at 1.039 per pound fine grind. I get 92% for 6 gallons @ 11 pounds using those numbers.
Edit
Sorry it was 1.038 so that's 95% for 1.066 for 6 gallons

Thanks for the help guys! To try and answer all the questions:

temp of wort was 65, i took the reading from the pre-pitch wort, in the bucket which read at 6 gallons. Munich Light is calculated at 1.033, thats what im basing it off.

Honestly, I didnt think it was a calibration problem, so I didn't check, but I will. It did taste and seem like it was above 1.060 though, so I doubt thats the problem.

I'm going to chalk this one up to grain amount....

The calibration marks on my buckets are works of fiction. If you find out how many gallons really indicate 6 gal, you should be able to recalculate.

-a

Back