IPA with Saison Yeast - Opinions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so the first account has 3 posts within 1 minute of each one on 10/9 and thats it. Next account has 4 posts within 1 minute of each one on 10/14. Both join dates are Oct 2015. Also did the same copy/paste thing on another thread

Maybe its just some weird dude, but id like to keep the forums as spam bot free as possible....

Quote their posts (while they are here, I reported them) - they have "hidden links" in them.

Quote their posts (while they are here, I reported them) - they have "hidden links" in them.

So weird... It didn't show on the app so I didn't catch it first time.

Robots that stay on topic pretty well and post relevant things?! scary.

Ah.

Update, after fridge, no gusher on one I opened

Glad to hear that, guess the bottles just needed more time to soak up the carbonation? I'm about two to three weeks away from bottling myself, looks like the yeast wrapped up their work (been eight days) so now I'll just give them some time to clean up their mess and hope things clear up a bit.

-- Nathan

IMG_20151020_203820.jpg

Glad to hear that, guess the bottles just needed more time to soak up the carbonation? I'm about two to three weeks away from bottling myself, looks like the yeast wrapped up their work (been eight days) so now I'll just give them some time to clean up their mess and hope things clear up a bit.

-- Nathan

Nice! Mine remained a bit of an orange color... Think pilsner meets the dark of typical extract... and it remained hazy.

I think if I brewed this again, I'd use all grain bill and I'd also use the Omega Labs Saisonstein or whatever it's called. Heard great things.

Did you take a gravity reading of yours? Also, I think 2 weeks is typical time, but with these yeasts... I think more time is better, given they sometimes stall.

Did you take a gravity reading of yours? Also, I think 2 weeks is typical time, but with these yeasts... I think more time is better, given they sometimes stall.

I haven't taken an updated reading yet, but my OG reading after putting the wort in the fermentor was 1.072. My recipe didn't have a target OG or FG (forgot to ask the LHBS guy) but from what I searched this seems fairly good for a Belgian IIPA. I'm shooting for around 8% abv so hoping for around 1.010 or less for my FG. Given my laissez faire temp control I think I'll give it a few more weeks before I start taking readings.

Makes sense! Id say take a reading a week before you think it's done and make sure it sits there at least a week. I think maybe mine had more to go

First off, apologies if I shouldn't be bumping this old thread.

Finally bottled my attempt this past weekend. OG of 1.072 FG of 1.008 for a nice 8.4% abv beer. I'm pretty happy with the attenuation.

Belle Saison lives up to it's rep as not flocculating very well. I used cut a piece of a grain bag to cover the bottom of the auto-siphon but lost a bit more beer than I'd like as I was still getting cloudy pulls when I got near the trub.

Ended up with a mere 20 count of 22oz bottles along with 4 12oz bottles (less beer lost when I check for carbonation). I'll get better at my volumes eventually.

Tasted it and it's definitely a belgian, fruity flavors from the yeast are right there, nice hop flavor and aroma. I noted a slight metallic aftertaste, hops, green beer, extract tang, I'm not sure.

Had a few people try it as we had guests while bottling and they (including the S/O who's not a huge beer fan) said it tastes good so maybe I'm just overly critical of my own stuff.

Gonna bottle condition for 3 - 4 weeks and see how it tastes.

-- Nathan

IMG_20151108_134051.jpg

IMG_20151108_135459.jpg

First off, apologies if I shouldn't be bumping this old thread.

Finally bottled my attempt this past weekend. OG of 1.072 FG of 1.008 for a nice 8.4% abv beer. I'm pretty happy with the attenuation.

Belle Saison lives up to it's rep as not flocculating very well. I used cut a piece of a grain bag to cover the bottom of the auto-siphon but lost a bit more beer than I'd like as I was still getting cloudy pulls when I got near the trub.

Ended up with a mere 20 count of 22oz bottles along with 4 12oz bottles (less beer lost when I check for carbonation). I'll get better at my volumes eventually.

Tasted it and it's definitely a belgian, fruity flavors from the yeast are right there, nice hop flavor and aroma. I noted a slight metallic aftertaste, hops, green beer, extract tang, I'm not sure.

Had a few people try it as we had guests while bottling and they (including the S/O who's not a huge beer fan) said it tastes good so maybe I'm just overly critical of my own stuff.

Gonna bottle condition for 3 - 4 weeks and see how it tastes.

-- Nathan

I'm glad you bumped. I was curious about this.

My advice would be to practice what you just preached and really leave it for at least 3-4 weeks. I thought mine tasted good after 2 weeks. I tried one after another two weeks nd the taste changed entirely and was way better than before. Much more saison-y. Much less IPA-y.

I know the twang there you speak of. It'll go away, or mine did anyways. Just let it sit and try to forget about it. I would do this recipe again if it were not so cold here now. I really really enjoyed the last two bottles after about a month in bottles and was pissed at myself for drinking the rest of it already.

I haven't read through the thread to see if he cold crashed or not, but hydrometer samples should be taken at 60f, or else the measurements have to be corrected. Protein causing haze only normally appears when beer is chilled.

Anyways, beer transfered at room temp should be pretty darn clear already without finings.

Mine was NOT that clear... Once it was in bottles a while, it was dark and a bit hazy. I am not sure why all my beers come out dark. I'm using extract, it was a Pilsner extract, and it's added half at beginning (off burner) and half at the end...

My thoughts are if it tastes good I don't care how it looks but... it's perplexed me thus far on my few brews I've had.

I'm glad you bumped. I was curious about this.

My advice would be to practice what you just preached and really leave it for at least 3-4 weeks. I thought mine tasted good after 2 weeks. I tried one after another two weeks nd the taste changed entirely and was way better than before. Much more saison-y. Much less IPA-y.

I know the twang there you speak of. It'll go away, or mine did anyways. Just let it sit and try to forget about it. I would do this recipe again if it were not so cold here now. I really really enjoyed the last two bottles after about a month in bottles and was pissed at myself for drinking the rest of it already.

Good advice :) I will be forced to let these age a bit as I leave for a 10 day vacation in roughly two weeks so while I'll be tempted to try one before I leave, I'll most likely leave them be till I get back.

-- Nathan

Lets try two at once...

Natethegreat how did you get your beer so clear?

I haven't read through the thread to see if he cold crashed or not, but hydrometer samples should be taken at 60f, or else the measurements have to be corrected. Protein causing haze only normally appears when beer is chilled.

Anyways, beer transfered at room temp should be pretty darn clear already without finings.

I don't use finings (though I've considered it) or cold crash, but I do let the beer sit in primary for at least 3 weeks so things can settle out. I've done two beers and both have been clear like this at bottling.

I did have trouble with the yeast cake being very loose so I had to leave more beer than I would have liked in the fermentor. Next time I'll tilt it and leave it overnight before racking so I can syphon off more.

I can't speak for this beer yet, but my stout had no issues with chill haze.

I took my reading a 70 degrees which, according to the sheet that came with my hydrometer requires +.001 so I guess that puts me at 1.009 or maybe even 1.010 depending on how accurate my thermometer is. Either way, it was the same reading (I take pictures because it's easier to second guess myself) I got 6 days prior so I'm reasonably confident I won't end up overcarbed or in exploding bottle territory.

-- Nathan

Lets try two at once...

I don't use finings (though I've considered it) or cold crash, but I do let the beer sit in primary for at least 3 weeks so things can settle out. I've done two beers and both have been clear like this at bottling.

I did have trouble with the yeast cake being very loose so I had to leave more beer than I would have liked in the fermentor. Next time I'll tilt it and leave it overnight before racking so I can syphon off more.

I can't speak for this beer yet, but my stout had no issues with chill haze.

I took my reading a 70 degrees which, according to the sheet that came with my hydrometer requires +.001 so I guess that puts me at 1.009 or maybe even 1.010 depending on how accurate my thermometer is. Either way, it was the same reading (I take pictures because it's easier to second guess myself) I got 6 days prior so I'm reasonably confident I won't end up overcarbed or in exploding bottle territory.

-- Nathan
I checked mine less than a week after bottling and I forget why exactly I checked it, but... it was over carbed.

I'd recommend using a ale amount of priming sugar when you do that, not a saison or a belgian... I think if the rest of the recipe is IPA, it makes more sense and I tried to take the median of the two and it backfired.

I checked mine less than a week after bottling and I forget why exactly I checked it, but... it was over carbed.

I'd recommend using a ale amount of priming sugar when you do that, not a saison or a belgian... I think if the rest of the recipe is IPA, it makes more sense and I tried to take the median of the two and it backfired.

I did that actually, based on your experience I stuck with a fairly standard level of carbonation.

-- Nathan

Had to try one after 3 weeks conditioning. I'm going on vacation and will be gone for two weeks so wanted to see where the beer was at now and compare when I'm back. Pretty good, fruity notes from the yeast, dry finish and I don't really notice the twang anymore.

-- Nathan

IMG_20151128_153834.jpg

Better now or before? I found that when I had one bottle left it had sat a few weeks and that was my favorite bottle I drank of it

I've found my saisons are entirely ready to,drink within 3 weeks of the brew day if i,play my cards right. But they change a bit over a month as they condition. Pretty stable after that ime. Lasts longer than most of my others in terms of falling off.

Better than the sample I tried bottling day, of course that was warm and flat. Curious to see how this is in a few more weeks. Carbonation was a little light, could be I didn't prime enough, could be it just needs a bit more time to carb up. Could be as carbed as it is gonna get, fair amount of sediment in each bottle, happily it's pretty firm so I didn't lose much beer when pouring it.

-- Nathan

Sounds like I went heavy, you went light with priming. I think it'll only get better!
Moops, good to know. Always dropping knowledge.

And now after a few weeks away on vacation it's gotten darn good. I'm going to age a few bottles just for fun, but I don't think this beer is going to stick around very long :)

-- Nathan

IMG_20151213_214053.jpg

Weather is HOT. 95+ daily. Most would just wait to brew.

Myself, I'm hooked because I'm new.

What happens if I take a kama citra recipe from northern brewer and use saison yeast rather than the yeast it comes with?

Longer period before drinkable? ...I know the flavor will taste different. I'm picturing a hoppy saison? Or a ipa with the subtle saison funk? Anyone have any experience or thoughts or anything really...

I recently made an all chinook IPA with belle-saison yeast and it was probably my best brew so far. Go for it!

I recently made an all chinook IPA with belle-saison yeast and it was probably my best brew so far. Go for it!

Old thread, but this remains the best brew I had and I can't wait until the unseasonably warm temps to do it again.

And now after a few weeks away on vacation it's gotten darn good. I'm going to age a few bottles just for fun, but I don't think this beer is going to stick around very long :)

-- Nathan
How'd the carb turn out?

Old thread, but this remains the best brew I had and I can't wait until the unseasonably warm temps to do it again.

I just do saisons all the damn time. I will either insulate the fermentor by zipping a winter coat around it or stick it into my rope tube & aquarium heater setup

I just do saisons all the damn time. I will either insulate the fermentor by zipping a winter coat around it or stick it into my rope tube & aquarium heater setup

You know, I had planned to, but my aquarium heater was only topping out at like 78? maybe 80? 3724 needed more heat, I think 3711 could be cooler?

I should just do that though. Maybe i will!

3711 will ferment out even in the low 60s

whats the wattage of your aquarium heater? I got just a 100w one that can get a rope tub with enough water to submerge a 6gal fermentor into the 90s

I just bought one of the cheap ones.

Maybe worth the investment although I don't often make saison... But hey, maybe I will. I'll be the next Shaun hill.

This friday, I will be brewing the following Belgian IPA *hybrid: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/561175/hybrid-saison ( The yeast will be a mix between SafAle BE-134 and Brewferm Blanche )

Saturday, I will brew a lighter Belgian Ale dry hopped with only Mosaic: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/561172/hybrid-belgian-pale-ale ( The yeast will be a mix between SafAle T-58 and Brewferm Blanche )

I will underpitch on purpose in order to force some more esters out of the beers.

Wish me luck!:rockin:

Back