water profile for a Patersbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a patersbier soon and was wondering if I should shoot for a Brussels, Belgium water profile, or if I should just use the EZ water spreadsheet and target the RA and sulfate/chloride ratio for the SRM and bitterness? I build my profiles from distilled water, so I can get my numbers pretty much where ever I need them, I'm just not sure what kind of water is going to make a more authentic patersbier. thanks for any info.

Hum. Well I have a profile I use for my patiersbier that works out well. It is my tap water cut with about 85% distilled with some salts added back to get a balanced cl/so4 ratio and to hit the RA. I used the EZ water spreadsheet to try a couple of different profiles and a couple versions came out different than others but not so much so that it was still not a delicious beer. Overall I perferred the version that was a very simple water profile with a balanced cl/so4 ratio. IIRC, my CA, CL and SO4 were all in the 50 ppm range and with low NA and MG. Ended up working out perfectly. Now it is the profile I use. If you want more info I can look in my notes later tonight.

I think I'll go along the lines of what you did and adjust for RA and sulfate/chloride. My patersbier is actually going to be mildly dry hopped so I may push the water away from the balanced side to slightly bitter. thanks for the info.

Back