Drain keggle mash/lauter tun from bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theichthus

Reaction score
I am converting a sanke keg into a mash/lauter tun, and going with the SABCO false bottom. I have seen lots of people struggle with the relationship between their dip tube and false bottom. Wouldn't it make sense to just drain it from the bottom and avoid the dip tube altogether? There would be zero lost wort no? I would have to build a base to hold the keg up in order to make room for the plumbing. This is my thought--cut a whole in the bottom center, weld a nut on the outside to receive a street elbow, then run a horizontal pipe out to a valve beyond the base I built... There must be a reason I have not seen anyone else to this? Or am I just inept at searching? Thanks for any insight.

I have seen a lot of people do it on here. If your doing a direct fire mash tun this will not work, however if your all electric this would work great. I have a RIMS set up and have considered doing this when I buy a new mash tun as well for the benefits you have mentioned.

I have seen a lot of people do it on here. If your doing a direct fire mash tun this will not work, however if your all electric this would work great. I have a RIMS set up and have considered doing this when I buy a new mash tun as well for the benefits you have mentioned.

I sure wish I could find what you are speaking of! I am copying Kal's set up as best as I can afford--at least for HLT and MLT--just using kegs. Thanks for the encouragement.

Cost you $25 or less (plus valve). Building one myself right now.

TC20M12.jpg

TC15_CLAMP-02.jpg

http://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri-Clover-X-1-2-Male-NPT.html

http://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri-Clover-Clamp.html

Latest posts

Back