Blichmann BoilMaker Filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantheman13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a BoilerMaker without a HopBlocker or false bottom. I didn't realize that I may need one of these for my BoilerMaker to function as a boil kettle. The pick up tube is 3/8" from the bottom of the kettle, and I am sure that the trub/hops/cold break will clog it! I want to avoid using a muslin bag or a hop spider for my hop additions.

Any suggestions on what I should use as a hops/cold break filter for my BoilMaker? I have read a lot of bad reviews on the HopBlocker. It seems that some people are using the false bottom, but I think that only works well with leaf hops. Here are the things I want to be able to do:

1. Use pellet and leaf hops.
2. Avoid using a muslin bag/hop spider.
3. Keep my system simple, e.g. no pumps/stands/etc.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

an all stainless steel hop spider from stainlessbrewing.com might do the job or you could make one out of similar materials. i think there is a guy on ebay selling stainlees hop spiders too but i don't have much more info on that, search on here for stainless hop spider for the thread.

Back