Question About Fermentation Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedwig0101

Reaction score
Hello to you all. I am a new member and a complete noob to brewing.

This is possibly a stupid question but I can't find the answer.

I have bought a beer making kit from a local store and it contained the following.

5 Gallon Bucket with Lid
Large Spoon
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Sython
trial jug
Steriliser.

My question is regarding the fermenting bucket. It has a tight fitting lid which appears to be sealed.

Is this correct? Will this not explode under pressure?

I have seen mention of an air lock but this was not in the kit nor can i see how it could be used with the bucket?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can drill a hole in the bucket to fit the airlock. IMHO, it should have been included. They cost less than a buck and a quarter, so go back to your LHBS, mention the oversight, and if they don't give you one for free, roll your eyes, pay your $1.25, and start ordering most of your stuff online.

Take the lid with you, stores frequently have punches for airlocks. Makes for nice clean holes & you can check the fit.

That's pretty ridiculous that the beginner's kit doesn't have an airlock! It is an essential item (the only alternative is to rig up a blow-off tube). I would be immediately suspicious of any LHBS that doesn't make a kit with SOME way to let off your CO2. It sounds like they either forgot it, or really don't understand the process. I would ask them about it to find out. Maybe they will give you one.

Hedwig,

I've never heard of a brewing kit like the one you mention. Everyone I've ever seen has a bucket top that is drilled with a single hole with a grommet. They all typically include an airlock too. If this is the 'homebrew store' special that they've put together themselves (or heck, even if it isn't) I'd go to your local store that you bought it from and ask about it, as has already been advised.

The good news is you have enough common sense to realize that as-is, the lid WILL blow off of that thing.

Also, isn't 5 gallons a little small for a primary fermentation bucket? I don't often use mine any more, but I'm sure it hold more like 6-7 gallons, to allow for fermentation activity.

Bike N Brew said:
Also, isn't 5 gallons a little small for a primary fermentation bucket? I don't often use mine any more, but I'm sure it hold more like 6-7 gallons, to allow for fermentation activity.

Geez, that didn't even register when I read the original post. That kit is guaranteeing trouble. It pisses me off, because I can just imagine all the new brewers who buy a crappy kit like this and then never brew again because to make a quick buck a 'homebrew store' set them up for failure.

Hedwig, could you double check the size of your bucket? Is it only a 5 gallon total container? Or does it hold 5 gallons but then have a lot of head/air space at the top of the bucket?

Orpheus said:
Geez, that didn't even register when I read the original post. That kit is guaranteeing trouble. It pisses me off, because I can just imagine all the new brewers who buy a crappy kit like this and then never brew again because to make a quick buck a 'homebrew store' set them up for failure.

Hedwig, could you double check the size of your bucket? Is it only a 5 gallon total container? Or does it hold 5 gallons but then have a lot of head/air space at the top of the bucket?

The scale on the bucket goes up to 5 gallons. There is about 3 inch space above this. Also this is 5 gallons UK which is about 6 US Gallons. Is this big enough.

Also i'll go back to the store tomorrow and pick up a blow off valve and ask them about why it wasn't included.

Thanks for all the advise and helping to avoid a cupboard full of beer.

Damn Squirrels said:
not blow off tube...

airlock. airlock.

Sorry. Thats what i meant.

I think I need to keep reading for a while before starting anything.

Back