Any trick for keggle cutting using compressor w/ cut off wheel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I have been whacking away at a keg little by little every night with my air cut off wheel. The disk is a standard issue 3 inch composite disk, intended for sheet metal and other materials. Is there a mythical disk that can get this done quicker? I have already asked the hardware scholars at HD and Lowes, and found that an education is a horrible thing to waste.

Any help?

Yeah, I saw that thread in a search prior to posting. This is not a Dremel. It is a cut off wheel that hooks into an air compressor. That disk would not come close to fitting.

Thanks though.

I have a 4" angle grinder, the $30 or $40 Ryobi model from Depot, that got the job done in ten minutes or so. But, I doubt it'll work any better that what you have now. I would NOT go out and buy a Dremel for the job.

Use the thinnest cutoff wheel you can find at the highest speed you've got. The thicker they are, the slower they cut. Mine are a hair thinner than 1/16," and they eat 18 ga and smaller sheet metal pretty quickly.

ALWAYS wear eye/face protection. Cutoff wheels can shatter if you accidentally put a side load on them.

EDIT: Alternately, you can send your keg to me. I will get a ton of use out of it. Will send beer in return.

the_bird said:
I have a 4" angle grinder, the $30 or $40 Ryobi model from Depot, that got the job done in ten minutes or so. But, I doubt it'll work any better that what you have now. I would NOT go out and buy a Dremel for the job.

Crap. I was thinking it would only take at most a half hour. I think I will try another brand of disks. I have over an hour in this thing and only 10% done.

I had a few Dremels in my day, they all end up popping out like Cheese's did. They are handy for small projects, but I have not ever considered even looking for my working one in about 2 years.

I assume you mean one of these?
161165_3.jpg

I've yet to cut my keg but planned to try that or my dremmel. I've used it on other metals and cut off some exhaust bolts on my car with no effort... Are you running it fast enough?

Are you using the max pressure the grinder is rated at from the compressor? Maybe your compressor isn't up to the flow volume. Don't baby the speed.. crank it. These grind a slot much unlike a saw blade.

Here are a few tips on cutting the top from a keg that might help, take a 16" piece of wire and wrap the wire around the outlet and attach the ends to the die grinder with a hose clamp. Adjust the position of the wires and clamp so the blade runs on the inside of the cut line. For cutting make a groove about halfway through the top with the blade (about 2"-3" long) then let the blade cut through, but keep blade depth to about 1/2". If you let the blade go deeper than that it usually binds or self destructs, also dont try to force the blade into the cut and drop the grinder rpm below 3/4 speed as all that happens is the disk goes away quickly without doing much cutting.

My pneumatic grinder doesn't work nearly as well as my cheapy Black & Decker electric angle grinder. With the electric one I can cut the top out of a keg in 15 mins tops. My pneumatic would take much longer - just not the same power. And I agree, get the thinnest disk and don't sink it in too deep, but don't baby it - use plenty of pressure. If you do, the disk is eaten up without doing as much work.

I used a pneumatic cutter like Sephro pictured, and it took forever. It took much more air than the manual claimed. I'd cut for 10 seconds then wait for compressor to get caught up, then cut for another 10 seconds....wait... If I do it again, I'll use an electric angle grinder

-S

I tried all those and you know what worked the quickest????????? Metal blade on a sawzall......15 minutes DONE. Quit waisting your time with one of those and get a sawzall.

lustreking said:
I used a pneumatic cutter like Sephro pictured, and it took forever. It took much more air than the manual claimed. I'd cut for 10 seconds then wait for compressor to get caught up, then cut for another 10 seconds....wait... If I do it again, I'll use an electric angle grinder

-S
You just need a bigger compressor.

Ol' Grog said:
I tried all those and you know what worked the quickest????????? Metal blade on a sawzall......15 minutes DONE. Quit waisting your time with one of those and get a sawzall.
Plasma cutter - 15 seconds - DONE.

If I ever decide to make a YouTube account, I'll make and post a video of one in action.

kladue said:
Here are a few tips on cutting the top from a keg that might help, take a 16" piece of wire and wrap the wire around the outlet and attach the ends to the die grinder with a hose clamp. Adjust the position of the wires and clamp so the blade runs on the inside of the cut line. For cutting make a groove about halfway through the top with the blade (about 2"-3" long) then let the blade cut through, but keep blade depth to about 1/2". If you let the blade go deeper than that it usually binds or self destructs, also dont try to force the blade into the cut and drop the grinder rpm below 3/4 speed as all that happens is the disk goes away quickly without doing much cutting.

Excellent idea! I haven't really given how I'm going to cut it nice and round yet. But that sounds like it would work... Maybe even put the keg on something similar to a lazy susan so it can be rotated by someone else while you hold the grider on...

Back