Splitting batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaNX

Reaction score
A friend and I recently put together a Scottish ale. We were thinking when it comes time to rack into secondary we could split some of the batch between my 6.5 carboy and some smaller 1Gal jugs so we could do some dry hop experiments.

Is there a problem with racking 3 gallons into the big carboy? Will there be too much oxygen (or any other problem?)

John

the head space left by the 3.5 gallons of air is a problem. but luckily there is a solution. if you fill the head space with a gas like CO2 you run a much lower risk of oxidation. filling the head space can be accomplished using dry ice. you can pick up a pound of dry ice at your local Ralphs. if you don't have one near by you can go on line and look for local distributers.

first smash the block of dry ice up into manageable chunks. i typically wrap the block on a towel then swing it over my head and smash it on the ground. pick a few chunks and put them in a cup then add warm water. next pour the fog and only the fog into the carboy. after a few seconds start siphoning. keep up the dry ice fog saving a good sized chunk for the end of your siphoning. just before you cap the carboy get a fresh chunk of dry ice and some fresh warm water. pour the fog in the carboy as you cap. this will trap the CO2 inside the carboy and protect your brew from oxidation.

Wow TipsyDragon I thought we were going to be doing some mad scientist tasks but that sounds pretty intense. :) I think we may have to try that..

Thanks for all the responses.

Back