Equipment check before big order.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to do a big order from Austin Homebrew (most items) to complete my all-grain setup. I would love any feedback you have. "x" next to the item means I already have it.

A couple notes:
* I read the threads here and still decided on a 6.5g glass carboy.
* 2-tier BIAB on 5gal batches, standard 3-tier for 10gal buddy brew days
* I have tubing sizes figured out, and I'm pretty sure silicon is great for hot-side transfers, and whatever "thin walled siphon" tubing translates to is fine for everything else. Do my lengths look fine (figure siphon can always have extra)?
* Cold-side tubing is 3/8" to make my life easier hooking it up to the CFC
* Fermentech thief instead of a hydrometer cylinder? I didn't get a good vibe either way
* I know, I know - I'm bottling. That's my situation for now. Kegging will have to wait.

Code:
Group	Have	Item
HLT	x	Bulkhead + Valve, barb (1/2")
HLT	x	Keggle

MLT	x	Braid tube
MLT	x	Bulkhead + Valve, barb (1/2")
MLT	x	10G Cooler
MLT	x	Grain bag
MLT		Plastic spoon 24"

Kettle	x	Bulkhead + Valve, barb (3/8")
Kettle	x	Keggle

CFC	x	

Ferm		Carboy 6.5g
Ferm		Carboy brush
Ferm		Carboy cap
Ferm		Carboy handle
Ferm		Carboy thermometer
Ferm		Hydrometer
Ferm		Racking cane
Ferm		Thief - fermentech

Bottling		Bottles 22 oz x 36
Bottling		Bottle brush
Bottling		Bottling bucket w/ lid
Bottling		Bottling wand
Bottling		Vinator

Misc	x	Air lock
Misc	x	Burner
Misc	x	Digital Thermometer
Misc		Starsan 8oz
Misc		Tubing 1/2" x 9' Silicon
Misc		Tubing: 3/8" x 12' thin wall siphon

Thanks for taking the time to look through the list. I think I have everything, but I'll concede that I probably missed a couple of key items.

Take care,
Cameron

It looks like you have a good well-organized list there. I have a few comments for what they're worth. :)

If you don't have a milk crate or something else that you can use to move your full carboy around, I would reccomend adding a "Brew Hauler" to the list. Those carboy handles aren't intended to be used with a full carboy because the glass neck of the carboy can break under that weight.

It looks like from your inventory that you will be boiling in a keggle and draining from a valve at the bottom -- you may want to include some hop filtering device (maybe you've got a plan already or are just going to dump it into the carboy or use a hop bag).

I personally love my autosiphon...I know there are other ways of moving liquid from one container to another but that may be worth your time and investment.

This wouldn't affect your order but I don't understand your "2-tier BIAB on 5gal batches" note in that when I look at your equipment, it looks like you have an MLT assembled and wouldn't need to BIAB.

Finally, I didn't see bottle caps or a capper on your list. Perhaps you're intending to use the EZ cap swing tops so that would take care of that.

Good luck! I think that's everything that I spotted. Big purchases are a lot of fun!

Just my two cents...but for all your need's, you would be better off buying a starter kit from one of the vendors...these kits will include fermenter, racking cane, brush, hydrometer, thermometer, etc....if you piece all of this separate you will pay a lot more.
If you go this route, check all the vendors as they have sales from time to time (such as more beer has free shipping for anything over $35). Here are the vendors I would check:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/ahs_news.php
http://www.northernbrewer.com/default
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/
http://morebeer.com/
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/

Just my opinion!

I like a standard hydro jar over the thief for taking gravity readings, I have both anyway but only use the thief for drawing off the wort/beer.

I would also go for a Better Bottle or bucket over a carboy - it is just not worth the risk of serious injury. Yeah I know milk crates, haulers etc, but it can still be dropped.

Many people just buy beer and recycle those for bottling or look on Craigslist for cheap ones.

I only have a few minutes right now, so I'll do my best. Overall, great comments! I have to confess it took me quite a bit of research and double-checking, but it's affirming to hear what you guys have already said.

* Hop filtering - I forgot to mention I made some hop sacks with leftover BIAB fabric.
* With my BIAB setup, I only need 2 of my vessels to get the job done. I wanted to give BIAB a try since the materials literally cost less than $10 and a little bit of a friend's sewing experience. I read somewhere here that 5gal is no prob for BIAB, but 10 gallon is probably too much.
* I thought about buckets (and better bottles), but I read enough stories about plastic, scratches, and microbes during fermentation. I'd be willing to go back and re-read threads arguing pro-plastic, but I'm not sure that I'll change my mind. I'm not concerned about strength
* I have enough brewing friends with extra carboys that interchangeable equipment could be nice in a pinch.
* Bottles: I've been doing 1gal batches, so I have the basic bottling equipment. I can get a box of 12 22oz from LHBS for $10 to supplement what I don't have. Otherwise I've been saving and having friends save. I also forgot extra caps on my list... good thinking.
* Kits - I looked at those, but since I have a bunch of stuff from my 1Gal kits, I'd be buying duplicates. In the end it didn't seem like it would make as much financial sense over piece-meal.

Take care, guys.

Buy a refractometer. You only have to buy one... not a new one each time you break one... (it is still nice to have a hydro on hand for some uses, but I haven't had one out on a brew day since I bought the refractometer).

After thinking about this a little more...www.groupon.com has a discount package thru Midwestern Supplies...it's basically $124 worth of stuff for $69...this kit will have everything you need in it. The city changes daily, but if you order today it's in Pensacola, Florida.
Also I know you really want glass carboys, but take it from a guy who has both..."glass is a pain in the ass", they are heavy, chip easy and nothing will ruin your day more than breaking one full of beer.

Back