Barleywine for a noob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
Here's the deal. I'm a noob. Only done 3 batches and bottled 2. I like brewing I just don't like bottling. So I figured why not brew a beer that you won't have to bottle for six months? That and I think my mashtun that I just built is huge and don't want much deadspace in it. I want to get into kegging eventually but right now can't afford it. Been procrastinating bottling my last batch for about 2 weeks now.

wow 700+ posts and only 3 brews! I wish that I had done that much research when I first started!

Kegging will change your brewing life forever. However I have legged for 2 years now, and miss bottles, the sharing of them. Guess up next is a counter pressure bottle filler. Its an endless loop.

A barley wine is the ideal place to start kegging, because you can put it in a keg and start saving for the rest of the rig. Kegs are cheap and a great way to protect your beer long term.

so if i buy the kegging setup now but can't afford a freezer right now then i can store it in the keg?

yes, you can secondary in a keg. or primary if you rig an airlock. the main point is, if you secondary (a waste of time) in kegs, you'll have the kegs when you decide to move on to kegging

Back