aging mead in 1/2 gal. mason jars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munimula

Reaction score
I'm hoping to make my first batches of honey based mead soon and want to do some aging.

I found an awesome deal on a 6 pack of half gallon mason jars. I know the kids aren't designed to hold pressure but I shouldn't have very much yeast activity. My thoughts were doing a 3 gallon batch and splitting into the jars after a healthy ferment period done in a carboy then add oak cubes or whatever else seems interesting the the jars then stash them for 1-12 months.

Thoughts? Never made my own mead yet just enjoyed a great many and researching the hell out of it.

I would stabilize with potassium sorbate before putting the mead in the jars. If the yeast was still active at all you would have mason bombs.

I would stabilize with potassium sorbate before putting the mead in the jars. If the yeast was still active at all you would have mason bombs.
More correctly, stabilising should be done for any mead where there are residual sugars and where the yeast used hasn't exceeded its tolerance.

It should also be sulphite and sorbate, not just sorbate. Because any MLF bacteria that might be present can munch the sorbate and produce geraniols - which would/could render it undrinkable.....

As for how much air space is too much ? Don't know numbers per se, but think on how much space and volume there is between the liquid and stopper in a bottle of wine......

Unless you have the kit to flood the airspace with inert gas like CO2 as that prevents long term oxidation too......

Latest posts

Back