dumb question.. when to add teast nutirent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixitoscar

Reaction score
Is it during the boil? or is it safe to add to cooled wort before pitching?

I toss mine in with about 5 minutes left in the boil...enough time to dissolve it and kill any nasties that could be with it.

i got the white labs yeast nutrient and it sais to add 1/2 tsp for 5 gallons.
im making a 12 gallon IPA for my first competition.

can i add 1tsp to the starter??? or maybe some to starter and some to wort? or all to wort??

(i will have a 2800ml starter of wyeast 1056)
im gonna make the starter this friday evening and gonna brew on saturday and pitch saturday evening. i plan on oxygenating both the starter and work w/ aquarium pump w/ filter.

how long should i oxygenate each? i havent used the pump b4. i know it depends on flow rate, bubble size, and possibly temperature but can you give me a rough estimate?? on brew strong they warned not to overdo it in fear of degrading foam forming proteins.

plz help

thanks in advance.

[sry bro for kinda stealing the thread w/ the aeration question]

When adding to the brew wort, I add the actual nutrient for the final 10 minutes of the boil (it's on the nutrient label)... For starters, I add it at the start, since it's a short boil. I've also added it post boil without any negative effects (for starters mostly)...

In my last brew I also tossed in some cooper's yeast into the boil, to be more food for the yeast. We'll see how this brew does in the end, but it was pretty active early on. So maybe the extra food I gave it (the boiled yeast) is helping it along. It's probably the only actual good use for cooper's yeast. :rockin:

for my starter i just used a pinch during the boil. on my batch i forgot to add it to the boil and added it when it was cooling down around 80f or so. oops well i'll remember next time.

Browarmistrz i would just add a pinch or 2 for your starter. then add the recommended dosage for your batch during the last 10 min of the boil. I havn't used the pump method before, but its pretty hard to over aerate unless you are using pure o2. I think for the starter i would just shake it up real good. It just seems easier to me. Now for that big batch of wort i am guessing at least 20-30 minutes. Hopefully someone else with experience using it can chime in.

yeast cannibalism....why eat your own glycogen reserves when you could eat your friend?

They weren't friends at all... Besides, I look at it more like what you got from the school caf. while growing up... Sure it's food, but who knows what it REALLY was... :eek: I sacrificed the cheap yeast to the brew boil gods in order for them to really bless my good yeast... And bless it they have... :rockin:

For how much to add to the starter, I'd go with either 1/4 or 1/2 tsp... The Wyeast page says to use 1/2tsp in the starter, same amount you use for a 5 gallon batch.

"A pinch" is rather subjective, and while it may work for some, it's not an very accurate system of measure. Is that a tiny pinch, or a healthy pinch? How big are your fingers? :eek:

Chances are, you don't actually NEED to use nutrient in both the starter and full batch. While it shouldn't do any harm, I see a nicely balanced wort as not really needing it. I'd use it in the starter so that you're sure to be up to full cell count before pitching in... You might want to move back the brew day another day, or move up when you make the starter by 12-24 hours. Let it ferment fully before you actually go to use it. Then you should be able to just pitch the slurry into the wort.

Back