Anyone have Columbus Brewing IPA clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called the brewery once and asked what was in it. I talked to their brewmaster, (his name escapes me) and he told me what all was in it, I wrote it down and lost it. I'm sure if anyone wanted to call them they would give you a pretty good idea.
Be sure to post it up though

Hey, resurrecting this thread from the dead - just had this IPA for the first time today at their brewpub, great beer!!!

I asked the bartender about some of the details and he went back and talked to the head brewer. I got that the hops used are Columbus, Amarillo and Simcoe. It is also dry hopped (obviously) and unfiltered.

There is DEFINITELY Amarillo in the flavor since it has such a strong orange citrus flavor. There is definitely Simcoe in the aroma, and I think in the taste too.

I would guess Columbus for bittering, Simcoe and Amarillo for flavor/aroma, and Simcoe with Amarillo for dry hop. Might mock up a recipe soon...

The brewmaster is Eric Bean. From what I could get out of Tony Corder (also a brewer at Columbus) it is a fairly simple grain bill, and has a boatload of Simcoe in it. He wouldn't give me the full hop bill, but he did tell me that they use a bunch of the hops as late additions, and that the Simcoe is a big part of the hop bill.

Speaking of which, I'm making an IPA tomorrow with Centennial, Simcoe, and Amarillo. We'll see what it comes out like :)

I was going to use EdWorts malt bill for the Stone IPA clone recipe. What hop schedule and amounts are you using for the Amarillo, Centennial, and Simcoe additions?

I was going to use EdWorts malt bill for the Stone IPA clone recipe. What hop schedule and amounts are you using for the Amarillo, Centennial, and Simcoe additions?

They were:

1oz Centennial @ 60
.75 oz Simcoe and Amarillo @ 15
1.25oz Simcoe and Amarillo @ 5
2oz Simcoe and Amarillo 7 days dry hop

It came out pretty nice, but I think the Amarillo were a little bit old, as I didn't get nearly as much character out of them as I should have.

Just wondering if anyone has any more ideas for a clone of this beer. It is still one of my fav's but I'm striking out in my searching for a recipe.

I've had issues with dry hopping with Amarillo--get kind of a celery-like flavor from it--maybe I'm leaving it in there too long or hops weren't fresh?

Just wondering if anyone has any more ideas for a clone of this beer. It is still one of my fav's but I'm striking out in my searching for a recipe.

Eric Bean was extremely friendly when I emailed him a couple years ago about Creeper. Basically gave me the recipe. Worth sending an email.

I've had issues with dry hopping with Amarillo--get kind of a celery-like flavor from it--maybe I'm leaving it in there too long or hops weren't fresh?

It's likely not a 'fresh' problem it's that finding a decent lot of Amarillo as a homebrewer is like winning the lottery. If they don't smell great before you use them, they aren't going to smell better in the finished product.

Do you still have the recipe for Creeper? I would love to attempt to make a clone of that beer.

Here's the email about the Creeper recipe:
Here is the recipe:

100% pilsner malt for a 25 Plato wort
Amarillo for 100 ibu
(40% of bitterness comes in the last 15 minutes)

2 hour boil

Dry hop with Amarillo and citra

I would suggest adding some dextrose sugar in the boil. We did not this year but probably will in the future.

I think the drier this beer gets the better the hop flavor.

Good luck

Eric Bean
Brewmaster
Columbus Brewing Co.

i agree CBC is great!

I am trying to find a good recipe to try out to clone their IPA. I have no good west coast IPA recipes in my brew cookbook. I have only brewed NEIPA's.

Latest posts

Back