Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My happy starter last night, assembled today, bake tomorrow!

IMG_1627.jpg

Made my 1st two loaves yesterday. The first one was too wet and didn't hold its shape very well. Pale and undercooked. This one still had some issues holding its shape (needs more kneading?) but came out pretty awesome. Didn't ferment for long (about 9 hours) and wasn't very tangy but i know how to fix that.

1392055588457.jpg

1392055604366.jpg

1392055617386.jpg

Nice! I like how it's a little stubbier than most. How wide is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks.
I cut it a little small. It measures 6 3/8wide and about 2 inches from the walnut. I'm thinking about going to a craft fair or maybe a farmers market to pedal some of the things I make in my shop. I have enough to make like 15-20 more. I was planning on making it longer next time. It looks really nice with oil on it.

Thanks.
I cut it a little small. It measures 6 3/8wide and about 2 inches from the walnut. I'm thinking about going to a craft fair or maybe a farmers market to pedal some of the things I make in my shop. I have enough to make like 15-20 more. I was planning on making it longer next time. It looks really nice with oil on it.
I'd love to see what you make. Do you have a website or just some photo account that has pictures of things you've made?
Don't take this the wrong way... I think I'm in love!

Oh I hope it takes it the wrong way because I think I too am in love. :ban:

It's just white flour. Nothing exciting. The braid is just a weave... Roll the dough flat then cut into strips leaving the top connected (looks like an octopus) and working from one side take one strip at a time and basket weave. Repeat from the same side you started on.

It's just white flour. Nothing exciting. The braid is just a weave... Roll the dough flat then cut into strips leaving the top connected (looks like an octopus) and working from one side take one strip at a time and basket weave. Repeat from the same side you started on.

Cool, forgot to mention that a batch of bacon is curing:D

Made my 1st two loaves yesterday. The first one was too wet and didn't hold its shape very well. Pale and undercooked. This one still had some issues holding its shape (needs more kneading?) but came out pretty awesome. Didn't ferment for long (about 9 hours) and wasn't very tangy but i know how to fix that.

I was reading this morning and came across someone saying to use less starter and a longer rise(18-24 hours) for a more tangy loaf.

I baked some new breads this time. Onion herb, Pale chocolate grain and anise, Rye and rye rolls, Oatmeal and honey. Also made another loaf of raisin and walnut.
I have to admit the rye turned out harder then I thought. It didn't get any oven spring at all. It felt right but as it proofed the gluten broke down.
I made dog treats while the stone was heating up
dscn0001-002_opt-62204.jpg

dscn4848_opt-62205.jpg

How percentage of rye are you using? Not that i'm going to solve the issue. I generally keep its content lower, in higher quantity I was playing with soaking the rye in a portion of the liquid at boiling temps, seemed to help but I haven't followed through.
Dog brisket recipe? Do you have a cutter?

I didn't follow a recipe. I'd guess I used a cup of rye flour. I didn't think it was too much rye flour.
Dog biscuit recipe
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup milk
2 cups whole wheat.
1 Tbsp baking powder
375 for 20 mins or until done. I usually cook them till golden brown.

Chef Rex.

After thinking about it for a while I tried to keep the proportions to a 50/50 blend. I'm thinking maybe next time I can just feed my extra starter the rye flour and then go back to my normal loaf recipe. Then the next time I bake I can start stepping it up 1/4 cup each time. I'm guessing it doesn't take much for to go a rye.

That anise bread just smelled great. Can't wait to try some this morning.

Just ordered a two tier cooling rack, silicone spatulas, a scaper and a pyrex measuring cup from amazon. :D I'm thinking the hobby will be more enjoyable if I at least have some of the appropriate tools.

Chef Rex.

After thinking about it for a while I tried to keep the proportions to a 50/50 blend. I'm thinking maybe next time I can just feed my extra starter the rye flour and then go back to my normal loaf recipe. Then the next time I bake I can start stepping it up 1/4 cup each time. I'm guessing it doesn't take much for to go a rye.

That anise bread just smelled great. Can't wait to try some this morning.

Now you got me reading up on rye, I usually go around 1/3 total flour but now thinking I want to bump it up, considerably.

ChefRex you need to teach me your bread tricks.

Please, call me Bob. What do you want to know?You look like you do plenty fine on your own.
Believe it or not I pretty much wing it, I guess after doing it for a wile you just do what looks and feels right. I'm not very disciplined.

I am really impressed with how talented you all are.

Deadfall - you're loafs look amazing.

I feel like baking bread is an art. No written recipe can describe how the dough should feel as your putting it together.

Any good tips for a beginner to get the learning process going?

Please, call me Bob. What do you want to know?You look like you do plenty fine on your own.
Believe it or not I pretty much wing it, I guess after doing it for a wile you just do what looks and feels right. I'm not very disciplined.

Bob... ;)

It's all in the shaping and I'd need some coaching. Idk... I'm my own worst critic I guess.

I am really impressed with how talented you all are.

Deadfall - you're loafs look amazing.

I feel like baking bread is an art. No written recipe can describe how the dough should feel as your putting it together.

Any good tips for a beginner to get the learning process going?

There are a lot of different ways to accomplish a loaf of bread. Think simple to start. basic bread. You shouldn't need a lot of ingredients. My basic loaf is sourdough starter, flour, water and salt. I baked that four times before I changed anything.
This video probably helped me the most. At least with how the dough should look while kneading it. A lot wetter then I had imagined.
https://www.stellaculinary.com/podc...-a-basic-loaf-of-sourdough-bread-video-recipe

If your not into sourdough then your other option is yeast. I'd still start simple till you get that down. Keep in mind that the temperature of your surrounding are playing a huge roll in how fast or slow you can make bread. Plan accordingly. Don't give up, learn from your mistakes.

If want to try sourdough let me know and I'll send you some of mine. You could also start your own. I read a bunch of sites but this was the best. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog...wn-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread/

Melana, Chefrex & Deadfall, you folks make some truly awesome & beautiful bread. Deadfall that photo of "still life in bread" is a subject for art. I'm not much of a baker, but I can certainly appreciate the work & talents of those who are skilled in baking. I can only imagine your breads are at least as tasty as they look, probably even better.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Back