Grocery store oranges and their wax...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acuenca

Reaction score
Has anyone accidentally or on purpose used the rind from these oranges in primary/secondary preparations? I accidentally used them in a wheat beer... there was a layer on top of the beer but not really any noticeable change in taste. I skimmed off the top layer and primed the rest... My weak chemistry knowledge tells me that little to none of it should solubilize... anybody know differently???

What is thier wax? ;)

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Just a quick rinse in the sink and a towel dry, and you're good to go. I never worry about it when using any citrus in foods as well. Brew On!

The shiny coating that gives them that je ne sais quoi appeal and steers you clear of the misshappen, dull, and oddly sized organic oranges that I should be buying ;) I use citrus alot... but the wax could act as a laxative... Which I hope that someone, if they ve had a bad experience from using these rinds, would share thier experience before I decide to gift these delicious treats to my friends that have been asking :)...

Ever ate a bunch of candy corn? Was is NOT a laxative lol...

Im sure its fine. I think you can take the shellac off with a vinegar solution, or also there is that expensive "Veggie Wash" that is sometimes sold in the produce section.

bottlebomber said:
Ever ate a bunch of candy corn? Was is NOT a laxative lol...

Im sure its fine. I think you can take the shellac off with a vinegar solution, or also there is that expensive "Veggie Wash" that is sometimes sold in the produce section.

No... Hate candy corn... But I suppose the amount of wax that would need to be infested is significant ly more than the rind from a couple of oranges... Alright... Thanks for putting my mind at ease...

If it's there, it will stay on the top of the beer. If you are concerned, rack from under it ans stop a little short of the last bit from the bucket.

Has anyone accidentally or on purpose used the rind from these oranges in primary/secondary preparations? I accidentally used them in a wheat beer... there was a layer on top of the beer but not really any noticeable change in taste. I skimmed off the top layer and primed the rest... My weak chemistry knowledge tells me that little to none of it should solubilize... anybody know differently???

From one floridian to another... you bought an orange?

... Hate candy corn...

[ame=http://www.myspace.com/video/dan/lewis-black-candy-corn/7264713]Lewis Black Candy Corn Video by Dan - Myspace Video[/ame] ... let it get there ... one of the best clips ever:tank:

If there's wax, I completely ignore it... and I've fully zested 18 pieces of citrus fruit for one beer with no ill effects.

In fact it's probably my best beer.

passedpawn said:
From one floridian to another... you bought an orange?

Yeah.... I live in a townhouse...can't grow trees...id love to...but...youre telling me you ve never bought those ridiculous california navels at publix for 0.69 a pound? They re good....

bovineblitz said:
If there's wax, I completely ignore it... and I've fully zested 18 pieces of citrus fruit for one beer with no ill effects.

In fact it's probably my best beer.

Cool....thanks.

Yeah.... I live in a townhouse...can't grow trees...id love to...but...youre telling me you ve never bought those ridiculous california navels at publix for 0.69 a pound? They re good....

I was just screwing with you. My neighborhood is full of oranges that never get eaten. For some reason that I can't know remember, I planted kumquat and lemons on my property. I don't eat kumquats, and how many lemons can a family use? Duh.

passedpawn said:
I was just screwing with you. My neighborhood is full of oranges that never get eaten. For some reason that I can't know remember, I planted kumquat and lemons on my property. I don't eat kumquats, and how many lemons can a family use? Duh.

Yeah, i knew you were. It is terribly ironic. :)

Oranges are coated with a wax that often contains some anti-fungal chemicals in it. The coating helps to keep them from drying out and slows down any fungus looking to eat the orange before you do.

Back