Partial Mash and Hot Side Aeration (HSA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I just did a partial mash brew and I definitlely subscribe to RDWHAHB. I use a 2 gallon igloo liquid cooler for mashing with BIAB.

Last week I brewed NB's Rye PA (Partial Mash). After mashing, instead of slowly pouring the wort into the boil kettle with a hose, I simply lifted the bag, picked up the cooler, and dumped the 150 degee wort into the pot so it definitley aerated a little. Same with the sparge water.

I've read that aerating the hot wort pre-boil can cause oxidation long term. I've searched the forum and also read John Palmer's info on his below:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

Has anyone experienced oxidation or off flavors in their home brews due to HSA or is this mostly an issue for commercial brewers?

HSA discussion and "RDWHAHB" don't belong in the same post LOL............

When doing all grain batches I collected wort in a 5 gallon bucket and then dumped it into my brew pot. Did this for about year (20+ batches). I never noticed any oxidation or other negative effects.

I stopped the bucket dumping method once I reconfigured my setup. Not because there was anything wrong with it just bc it was an unnecessary step.

So no, I don't subscribe to the whole HSA theory for homebrewers.

Latest posts

Back