Schwarzbier /WLP833

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellsbrat

Reaction score
Going to do Schwarzbier based on Jamils recipe

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
56.0 7.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.030 8
32.0 4.00 lbs. Pilsen (2 Row) France 1.018 2
4.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.002 40
4.0 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.002 350
2.0 0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.001 450
2.0 0.25 lbs. Carafa Germany 1.001 400

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.90 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 3.50 26.8 60 min
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 3.50 2.4 20 min
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 3.50 1.2 1 min

Looks yummy huh
Jamil recommends WLP830 from Weihenstephan
I would like to use WLP833 Bock Lager from Ayinger as I really like all of there beers I have tried.
Does anyone have any experience with this yeast or recipe.Never even had a Schwarzbier before dont think there are many commercial examples in the States.Would like to accentuate the malt profile? Would maybe like to use in a Marzen also? :) thoughts/comments/help :)

Should work fine, lager yeasts are all pretty similar.

I made that recipe and it makes a fine beer, but it will be closer to a German Porter than an actual Schwarzbier (which have only subtle dark malt notes).

Plenty of examples of the style available in the states: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/31 Sam Adams does the best one that is widely available in my opinion (but my favorite is Sprecher Black bavarian, which is a bit roastier and closer to that recipe).

Thanks for the response Oldstock is there any recommendations you would make to alter this recipe

I'd shorten the grist to just pilsner, munich, crystal and carafa special. I specially like this one recipe -> http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Schwarzbier, my friend made the beer to exactly to this recipe and it was awesome.

Schwarzbier should not be too malty, so bock yeast is not as well suited as simple W34/70 (WLP German Lager, Wyeast Bohemian Lager, dry Saflager W34/70). Of course, nothing should stop you from using what you have at hand. :)

Roasted barley does not belong to german beers due to Reinheitsgebot. It's a stout thing. :)

I'd shorten the grist to just pilsner, munich, crystal and carafa special. I specially like this one recipe -> http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Schwarzbier, my friend made the beer to exactly to this recipe and it was awesome.

Schwarzbier should not be too malty, so bock yeast is not as well suited as simple W34/70 (WLP German Lager, Wyeast Bohemian Lager, dry Saflager W34/70). Of course, nothing should stop you from using what you have at hand. :)

Roasted barley does not belong to german beers due to Reinheitsgebot. It's a stout thing. :)[/QUOTE]

its barley?

I made a "black kolch" with some crystal 40 carafa III and 15% wheat. and american wheat yeast fermented @ 60... along the same lines of a schwarzbier. one of my best beers to date! nice and dark, smooth, not much roast and head that never goes away. love it :rockin:

Roasted barley is an unmalted adjunct. German brewers would use roasted malted barley, probably specifically carafa or carafa special.

As for 833, it's not really a bock yeast, the majority of Ayinger's beers are not bocks and of course 34/70 aka WLP800 is used to make hundreds of bocks. You have to look beyond the yeast company's marketing name.

Roasted barley is an unmalted adjunct. German brewers would use roasted malted barley, probably specifically carafa or carafa special.

As for 833, it's not really a bock yeast, the majority of Ayinger's beers are not bocks and of course 34/70 aka WLP800 is used to make hundreds of bocks. You have to look beyond the yeast company's marketing name.

hmm, learn something new everyday! so that the Reinheitsgebot is only "malted" barley?

Reinheitsgebot also did not specifically allow the addition of yeast from what I understand

Sure thing, Wyeast calls W34/70 "bohemian lager" while in fact it is german lager strain. Name is nothing, the effect is what counts. "Bock" strains (any "south German" strain, in fact) accentuate malty character but schwarzbier should be crisp and dry, not too malty - taking Kostritzer Schwarzbier or Krusovice Cerne as an example.

Anyway, i'm gonna make schwarzbier on Wyeast Munich Lager (which is also marketed as "bock strain") because that's what i have in my fridge. ;)

Back