Possible bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend who split a batch of Porters we just did. He was saying the two bottles he's had straight from the box (ie no time in the fridge) overflowed a bit when uncapping. We're not talking like foam flying...just gushing a little. However, I've only had mine from the fridge and had no such problem, and those he's had from the fridge have had no problem either. It doesn't taste like anything is infected and the carbonation on the beer itself is even pretty low when I've had it from the fridge. Anyone else had similar experiences? Should I worry about having bottle bombs on my hands?

I understand this, but I've never had a bottle before refrigerating...does this happen normally, without infection?

I've had a few batches of bottles that gushed a bit like that and I never tasted signs of infections, even after several months of aging. I would immediately refrigerate any bottles that are still at room temperature though. In my experience, bottles can continue to carbonate. Even after 4 weeks at room temperature.

It also could be that your friend had his bottles in warmer temperatures so they carbonated faster. Or, you may have put some bottles in the fridge a little earlier.

Latest posts

Back