old ale yeast selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
any input/experiences would be appreciated... i'm looking to make an old ale and have some different choices for yeast (wyeast at my LHBS):

1968 (london ESB), 1028 (london ale), 1318 (london ale III), & 1728 (scottish ale), but i'm targeting the low/mid gravity for this style, so i doubt i will need the scottish ale yeast to handle higher ABV.

i've used 1968 before and i think that might not attenuate quite enough...

any ideas/experiences?

I made an Old Ale using WLP028, which Jamil lists as equivalent to Wyeast 1728. I must say that this batch was a blend with of a pack of the recalled Nottingham Dry, so I can't tell you exactly which one was the dominant strain, because the WLP028 was also from an expired vial. But it took off like a champ, reaching the expected terminal gravity within 2 weeks, and then dropping another 2 points 2 weeks later.

The final bottled beer was excellent - I even entered it into the St. Louis Brews 2009 Happy Holiday Homebrew Competition, which will be judged on Saturday.

Here's the recipe for the batch I used:
http://hopville.com/recipe/105689/old-ale-recipes/ye-olde-holiday-ale

thanks fellas, but i ended up just getting the 1028 (london ale) from my LHBS... figured i can't go wrong there. khiddy, i'm goin' a little smaller than you on the old ale, i'm targeting 1.069... can't have too many high abv ales sitting around, it's dangerous!

Back