Cheap N or CO2 source to deoxygenate hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Rhoads

Reaction score
Hops hate oxygen. Lots of folks simply evacuate an oxygen impermeable container to store their hops, but a better way is to use an inert gas such as nitrogen or CO2 to displace the oxygen, as well as using the oxygen impermeable container. There must be a cheap way to do this. Ideas? I am wondering if you can get a plain old propane tank filled with these gases, or some other cheap alternative. You also have to think about regulating down the pressure to a trickle. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

You could actually buy a co2 tank, it would also come in handy when you keg.

I'm not sure exactly how you'd do that, I suppose it would depend on the container. But I suppose if you're not vacuum sealing, even removing 50% of the oxygen would be better thna just dropping it in a tupperware container or something.

Hmmm, this might be one of those times where dry ice could come in handy. Since it expands something like a thousandfold upon evaporation, a couple little slivers should be enough to displace the air in most airtight containers. Just make sure that the containers won't hold too much pressure, and preferably burp it a few times too. Dry ice is something like a buck or two a pound these days, and one pound should be plenty for a large amount of hops.

Am I missing something here. Just a hose run from the LP side of your CO2 regulator will fill any container you want in seconds...

EDIT: Opps... Just re-read that the original poster doesn't have a tank. Perhaps this will be a more useful response:

12g CO2 cylinders can be had at most sporting goods. Better bike stores will carry a pocket "pump" that uses these cylinders to fill bike tires. Combine that pump with a basketball needle, and you have a small and cheap way to purge hop baggies of air.

I think nitrogen has more inert qualities than co2. I store hops and grain with a foodsaver, so fast and easy. Its a little expensive $120 but there's plenty of non brew uses for it.

photogscott said:
I think nitrogen has more inert qualities than co2. I store hops and grain with a foodsaver, so fast and easy. Its a little expensive $120 but there's plenty of non brew uses for it.

that was gonna be my suggestion...rather than bathe it in an inert gas, just suck all the air out and use a bag that's not air-permeable.

i've been trying to justify the cost of a foodsaver....still not there yet. but I also don't buy bulk hops.

I appreciate all of your suggestions, but I think I have come up with a better solution which is easy and cheap too. I bought a 20 oz. CO2 tank with a valve and hose for $35 at a local paint ball establishment. Yes, N is better than CO2, but N is expensive. Anyway, I put my hops in small sealable glass jars (like old olive jars, etc.), stick the hose down into the bottom of the jar, open the valve slightly and purge the air from the jar, seal the jar, and into the freezer. Several plastics are fairly oxygen impermeable, but nothing beats glass for this use, hence our glass bottles that we put our pride and joy (BEER!) in. It works great. Twenty ounces of CO2 will last for YEARS doing things this way. Problem solved. I would put a picture on here if I could just figure out how. Next year I will store leaf hops from my garden in the same manner after I have dried them.

BTW guys, you CANNOT remove all of the oxygen (or even close) using a vacuum sealer. I fought oxygen for years in various scientific projects in chemistry labs as a graduate student. It takes very little oxygen to degrade the aromatics in hops. Purging FOLLOWED by evacuation works well, but vacuum alone wont solve the problem. Also low temp is great, but oxygen will still do the damage. Ever heard of "freezer burn?" That is actually oxygen burn.

You can't get all the oxygen out, but you can slow oxygenation to a crawl. I do use a Foodsaver (that we also use for other applications, like food), and that helps a lot. Of course, keeping in the freezer also helps a lot. In the end, though, don't bother buying more hops that you can use in six months (a year, tops). Fresh hops is the way to go.

Bulk may give you a better deal, but how good of a deal is it when you don't like your beer?

TL

pldoolittle said:
Check the label. Many of those are freon and other "non-edible" gasses.

Sorry I meant one of those that takes the CO2 cartridges... I picked one up a couple of days ago for $10 or so

Back