Swap meet burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s8omobb

Reaction score
I just went to my local swap meet and saw a few choices for a propane burner for my keggle. The question I have is: low pressure or high pressure??? These burners are low cost and, more than likely, low quality. I can get a low pressure burner with stand for $30 this feels like a steal!! Is it? And if it is, low or high??

The base propane burners I would compare them to are Bayou Burners. These are middle of the road, good quality burners. Better than many of the turkey fryer burners, not as good as the top of the line burners, like Blichmann.

Here's one http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=56_MT96jIoOy2wWArdjaCw&ved=0CN0BEPMCMAE

Here's the model I use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$30 is a good price, if the burners will do the job for you. If its a swap meet, will they let you see how long it takes to bring 7 gallons of water to a boil?

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't really have much to say about them except that there is a low pressure model and a high pressure model. I asked them the same 7 gallon question and they just shrugged. The only info I could find on the interwebz was somebody was using the hi-press model for large batches of carnitas!!
I don't want to buy the lo-press if it's not powerful enough and I don't want to get the hi-press if it's going to be overkill wort scorcher!! I've not brewed a single batch yet, so consider me EXTREMELY green, including that I don't know the real difference between low and hi propane pressure.
Is your burner a hi or low???

You need to know the BTU rating. High pressure pushes more btus through smaller holes/pipes. It will tend to be noisier and less efficient. Low pressure will be quieter and more efficient.

Also look at the definition of low pressure v high. If Low pressure is house gas pressure then it should be about .5 psi, high would be 10+. In this case you need to figure out how many btus the low pressure burner can produce.

They might be selling a lower high pressure model that is 10psi and a higher high pressure that is 30 psi. If this is the case most likely the low pressure is fine.

Look at the sticker on the regulator mine is clearly stamped 10psi

Sorry, I don't know about high and low pressure. The stove I use (see link above) is rated at 50,000 BTU, which is fine for me - as I said, not top of the line but better than cheaper models.

I'd assume the swap meet stove is the equivalent of a turkey fryer burner.

Thanks for the replies and advice! I think I'm gonna with the low pressure for money reasons and the fact that I'm a cooking nut! If it wont boil wort it will at least make some kick ass BBQ!!! The low and hi will both interchange on the stand. I'll update with my findings next week. Wish me luck!!

Back