No hop bags....still wash (save)yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have stopped using hop bags, so my fermentations sit on a mountain of hop trub. I haven't collected yeast in a while, but I am using Wyeast 3711 and think I may use it again soon, and it's not as easily found as let's say Notty or Chicco.

Chances are the yeast will be used in another very similarly hopped beer.

I should go ahead and collect it right? The krausen is pretty dead, so top cropping isn't an option. I think I am going to begin doing that.

I've never used hop bags or strained my wort when using pellet hops, and washing my yeast works fine. I didn't do a great job this last time and still had a small amount of trub in one of my jars of yeast, but they didn't seem to mind, seeing as they're happily fermenting away in a batch of NB Ranger clone.

I dont use a hop bag but when I am putting wort into the carboy form boil kettle ill let whirlpool for awhiel then let it set for 20 min or the longer the better. All of the hops will fall out and then siphon into carboy. Get a hell of alot less hops into carboy this way FWIW

Agreed with the above - in fact, I re-use my yeast all the time and I di not use a hop bag OR whirlpool. I have always had good results.

Back