What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deschutes Obsidian. This one is tasty!

I agree!

ForumRunner_20130115_182751.png

ForumRunner_20130115_182751.png

Summit Horizon Red Ale- Proll-a-llaly one of my favorate styles(hybrid)(non-stlye?)whatever. Its good.Just look at eh hop-lineup they use. Cheers!
Then a Summit IPA.

Two Brothers' "Domaine DuPage" French style country ale. A bit hoppier than other farmhouse ales I've had... t'was intentional and not half bad!

image-2409002660.jpg

Dave37 said:
Why don't those guys stop fvckin around and just make more barrels of those specific pliny beers? Does it mean that much to them to have lines of people outside their doors? I'm sure all of the beer will get sold in a month instead of two weeks. I don't know anything about it since I live 3000 miles away in NY but I read about this hype all the time.

Because then there would be no hype, and hype is what makes PtY #1. Kind of like why women want diamonds - they aren't rare, they are common, especially in the ~1K size range. Why are they so sought after? Because their import is precisely controlled so that an illusion of rareness is accomplished, making them expensive as hell. As much as I love RR, Vinnie and his beers I see him becoming just another of many kick ass brewers on the scene. Honestly I think he needs to step up his game. He's been doing the Pliny thing for a long time now, he should release another IIPA. It's what the people want.

bottlebomber said:
Because then there would be no hype, and hype is what makes PtY #1. Kind of like why women want diamonds - they aren't rare, they are common, especially in the ~1K size range. Why are they so sought after? Because their import is precisely controlled so that an illusion of rareness is accomplished, making them expensive as hell. As much as I love RR, Vinnie and his beers I see him becoming just another of many kick ass brewers on the scene. Honestly I think he needs to step up his game. He's been doing the Pliny thing for a long time now, he should release another IIPA. It's what the people want.

Edit: you kiss your mother with that mouth?

bottlebomber said:

Maybe you're right but I tend to think it may be a poor business practice. Mostly because RR isn't number one. Budweiser is number one. Because they make a billion (read: exageration) gallons of it every year. While there might not be as much hype around that beer anymore were they to make more of it, there would be more of it! To sell and for those people who wait 6 hours for one pint to buy of it. Imagine if these die hard fans could get a hold of more than one or two pints a year. (once again I don't know much about it I'm just assuming and maybe making another exageration; that it is difficult to drink a large amount of Pliny every year.) they would be in local bars around California drinking 5 to 6 pints a night which would be awesome for his business number one but also for all of the bars who were able to carry it.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

That said I would like to try one and see what all the fuss is about. If I didn't have to wait hours for it.

I'm loving Rhode Island more and more. Made a run there tonight and picked up some good stuff. I'm super stoked for the FW brews, the others seemed intriguing so I picked them up.

EDIT: Also, I'm drinking vodka/diet tonics until the weekend

20130115_215700.jpg

nukebrewer said:
I'm loving Rhode Island more and more. Made a run there tonight and picked up some good stuff. I'm super stoked for the FW brews, the others seemed intriguing so I picked them up.

EDIT: Also, I'm drinking vodka/diet tonics until the weekend

I'm definitely jealous of that Wookey Jack. Had it once and wish I had an unlimited supply at my disposal at all times.
I've had that Eisbock before, but don't really remember whether or not I liked it.

My Strawberry Belgian Blonde. I picked up an off flavor I can't place in this one (I'm leaning towards DMS, but I'm not positive). Not dumpworthy, but not my best either.

Homemade hard apple pie cider and some plum and pumpkin brown ale.. Good cold icy night for it

My "English IPA". It was my last Extract kit, and it came it pretty hot at about 7.6%. It almost tastes like a IIPA, but with super earthy undertones. Bittered with Magnum, and using Kent Goldings for the rest. Not bad. After awhile in the keg I am liking it a lot more.

TNGabe said:
Edit: you kiss your mother with that mouth?
I don't get it.
Dave37 said:
Maybe you're right but I tend to think it may be a poor business practice. Mostly because RR isn't number one. Budweiser is number one. Because they make a billion (read: exageration) gallons of it every year. While there might not be as much hype around that beer anymore were they to make more of it, there would be more of it! To sell and for those people who wait 6 hours for one pint to buy of it. Imagine if these die hard fans could get a hold of more than one or two pints a year. (once again I don't know much about it I'm just assuming and maybe making another exageration; that it is difficult to drink a large amount of Pliny every year.) they would be in local bars around California drinking 5 to 6 pints a night which would be awesome for his business number one but also for all of the bars who were able to carry it.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

That said I would like to try one and see what all the fuss is about. If I didn't have to wait hours for it.
You're right in that he would be a more profitable brewer if he increased his facility and started pumping out PtY. Sure, he'd make a ton of money. That's what he uses PtE for though, and it had brought him great success. Evidently he sells as much of it as he can make, and he has no desire to increase the size of his business. As you slowly make your way down 4th street and get closer to the brewery there are fliers stating that the reason it isn't brewed more is because it is extremely expensive to make. I can understand that to a degree. But on the other hand, I would pay $10 or $15 for a bomber of the stuff all year long if I could avoid the line. He doesn't even charge that much for it. I think it was $4 for a 12 ounce pour.

I don't get it.

You're right in that he would be a more profitable brewer if he increased his facility and started pumping out PtY. Sure, he'd make a ton of money. That's what he uses PtE for though, and it had brought him great success. Evidently he sells as much of it as he can make, and he has no desire to increase the size of his business. As you slowly make your way down 4th street and get closer to the brewery there are fliers stating that the reason it isn't brewed more is because it is extremely expensive to make. I can understand that to a degree. But on the other hand, I would pay $10 or $15 for a bomber of the stuff all year long if I could avoid the line. He doesn't even charge that much for it. I think it was $4 for a 12 ounce pour.

I kinda feel the same way. I know there would be a TON of people that would pay a LOT of money for PtY. But, I think that would take away from the whole "release" party and that aspect. It creates buzz, and I think PtE might fill the void while people wait for the Younger release. After reading all these things, I really dont want to go there, just for Younger. I dont feel its worth it. Im not that big of a beer geek to wait hours in line to "say" I have had it. I would much rather drink a Elder while sitting in my house haha.

And also, the excuse of "Its very expensive to make". Of course it is. But if there is a demand, charge enough to make a little, and make people happy. I could understand if it was that you had a super limited supply of a single ingredient that was only available in certain times other year, but to use money as an excuse? C'mon. Really? people make really hoppy beers all the time, and they are expensive yes. But the price tag relates to it. Anyways. I think it will never change, but I dont feel its for me. I wanted to try this year, but Ill spend time at some other great events in the bay area. Double IPA fest at The Bistro in Hayward anyone??? Haha

Oh, and I am drinking my attempt at a Zombie Dust clone. All Citra. Good, but very citrusy. As expected, but I thikn after a week in the keg its getting a lot better.

Weihenstephaner Korbinian after the third long day this week, worked from 6am-5pm, and went to brew from 5pm-2:30am. Got a wheat wine in, and split the batch with my wild Norsk yeast and Falconers Flight 7 C's blend straight into the fermenter, and 5gal onto a lacto starter. The 7 C's wort smells INCREDIBLE.

TNGabe said:
I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone so much as insinuate Vinnie can't turn water into amazing beer with the wave of his hand. :D

No he can, that's for sure. He was way ahead of his time with everything that he's done. It's just that how a lot of brewers are learning what it takes to make those amazing beers, and with the huge homebrewing movement the bar had gone way, way up. I just foresee a time in the near future when there is a multitude of great beer out there, and it won't be so easy to say "Pliny is the best, Heady Topper is the best."

Cracking open a SN Narwhal before nap time. I have to work tonight, and it's going to be a long trip.

Just took a sip of my meads gravity sample. Whoof! Talk about a buzz and a sugar rush in one sip. Only 6 days into fermentation though and am down to my midpoint. Hope she finishes strong and gives me a somewhat dry mead. :drunk:

Highlands Black Mocha Stout. I'm disappointed in this. I really want to like it. I can't quite put my finger on what it is yet, either. Not bad, just... maybe just not what I was expecting, although I normally love black ales.

My own creation -- Novemberfest. A partial mash Oktoberfest recipe I made up and brewed a little late. Finishing off the last few as I try to plan out my timetable a little better in 2013. :)

Back