Bulk age ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
I have two plum and a cherry I started in June. They have been racked two times. Added c tabs and sorbate last rack three weeks ago. These have been inactive for a couple months until this week. Now all three of them have thousands of tiny bubbles rising again. Is this gas releasing because of the cooler temps we have now? They are all in five gallon glass carboy's. Thanks Mike

Have you confirmed with hydrometer they are still at the same point of backsweetening?

I have not seen fine bubbles due to barometric changes, but just the occassional blub of the airlock.

Yes, it sounds like the cold temp is causing your wine to release the dissolved CO2.

novalou said:
Yes, it sounds like the cold temp is causing your wine to release the dissolved CO2.
Other way around.
CO2 comes out of solution when its warmer, not colder. Try opening a warm bottle of soda if you don't believe me.

Peppers16 said:
Other way around.
CO2 comes out of solution when its warmer, not colder. Try opening a warm bottle of soda if you don't believe me.

Yes, that is correct.

If the wine chilled in a carboy with either an air lock or a rubber stopper, any vacuum force could start the degassing process.

novalou said:
Yes, that is correct.

If the wine chilled in a carboy with either an air lock or a rubber stopper, any vacuum force could start the degassing process.

I see where you're coming from now. Not sure Thatd happen with an airlock, but with a solid bung it sounds plausible.

Alternativly air might be getting sucked back in.

Back