Wrong hops, hope for best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdahl1289

Reaction score
So i went to my local HBS to get stuff for a recipe i got on a wheat pale ale. sounded different so i wanted to try it. Well I got home, and relized i had grabed hallertau instead of Warrior hops. The rest of the recipe called for amarillo hops.
I just used the Hallertau hops instead of driving 30 min to get the right ones. Anyone paired these two before, and how did it turn out. I hoped it at these times.
hallertau .5 oz 45min
Amarillo 1 oz. 10 min
hallertau at flame out.

I believe hallertau is low in AA% so your IBU may be low. It'll still be beer though. You may really like what you've created. Let us know how it works out :)

It definitely won't have much bitterness, but I don't think you need a ton of IBUs. Taste a little in a couple days and if it tastes bland, maybe dry hop with 1oz Amarillo, simcoe, centennial, citra, or cascade. That should add some good flavor/aroma.

It'll turn into a proper wheat beer instead of a "wheat pale ale"...no biggie. The rest depends on the yeast variety. I think it'll still be very drinkable if not repeatable.

thanks for the input. the rest of the recipe calls for 2 oz. of Amarillo hops dry hoped for 7 days. That will give me a little more IBU to my weird wheat.

thanks for the input. the rest of the recipe calls for 2 oz. of Amarillo hops dry hoped for 7 days. That will give me a little more IBU to my weird wheat.

Sorry to be the one to say it but hops have to be boiled to add the bitterness. You have to isomerize the hop oils. You could make a "hop tea" and add that for bittering.

I would roll with it. It's probably only around 10IBU, but I think it will be good. Just dry hop like you were going to.

Well i was able to crack a couple of these over the last weekend. Wow, they where very drinkable. I loved the combination. It is giong to be done again. It taste like a light pale ale more then a wheat beer. I love taste in a beer, and this one has it.

Latest posts

Back