Adding vanilla beans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstippel

Reaction score
I was going to brew 5 gallons of a sweet stout but was thinking about adding vanilla beans for a little extra flavor. When and about how much would I add for a subtle vanilla flavor?

For my robust vanilla porter, I used two beans in some vodka in a little 3oz or so jar to soak during primary fermentation. Split the beans length-wise, then scrape the paste out & add to the jar. Chop the beans in 1" pieces & add to the jar as well. Then cover with vodka & seal jar. I set it aside by the computer to soak during primary. Straining the resulting liquid didn't get the celery seed-size beans out though. Using a funnel & coffee filter would be better. I added the fresh vanilla extract to the priming solution. Worked great, but, like dry hops, they do tend to fade.

For a nut brown I added a single, large vanilla bean with 15 minutes left in the boil and the beer tasted great. Soaking the beans in vodka and adding them post primary will probably give you a stronger vanilla flavor as the boil and primary will drive off some of the flavor.

I like to roughly chop 2 vanilla beans and cover them in 100ml of water. Bring that to a boil and then let it cool. Then add this mixture into the fermentor. Sanitizes them and helps extract a good amount of flavor before even adding

Alright I chopped up 3 beans, didn't scrape, and added them to the boil in the last 15 minutes. Then I made sure the beans made it into the fermenter. This may be a bit stronger vanilla than I had initially wanted. But the pack came with three beans...so I used 3 lol. I appreciate the help and will unfortunately not be able to drink this until December. I will bottle 2 days before I deploy. At least it will be ready when I get back?

Latest posts

Back