Wine fermented fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NB247

Reaction score
Hi there.

I started a strawberry kiwi juice wine 5-6 days ago and had a sg reading of 1.082 (added sugar). I just checked the sg and the hydrometer says it's done fermenting (1.000). I used an ale yeast that comes in the grocery store kits and there is still some sweet flavor to the wine when I tasted it.

I have a couple of questions:

Is this normal?

Should I rack to secondary?

Thanks for the help! I am new to this but in the last couple of brews I've never had it ferment that quickly. Any other suggestions/questions are very welcome.

My wines almost always are at .990 or so in 5-7 days. I try to rack to secondary and remove the crushed fruit at 1.010-1.020, but sometimes the wine goes dry before that.

Rack to a carboy, making sure that there is almost no headspace at all, and let sit about 60 days in a dark place. If there are lees at that time (and there should be quite a lot), rack and repeat. If there are lees more than 1/4" thick before the 60 days, rack then, and top up and start the "60 days" calendar over again.

Just keep it topped it, with a filled airlock, and it will be all downhill from here!

Back