New Pittsburgh HomeBrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRXScooby

Reaction score
How goes it all?

I'm Jarrett, currently living above the South side in Pittsburgh. My roommate and I just started our first homebrew. Its been sitting for its first week.

Just thought I'd say hi!

First time here too.... from Sewickley. Any of my fellow burghers have an opinion on the best homebrew supply store? I was going to hit up the place in the strip for my initial set up.

Triangle home brew supplies is a cluttered mess ( at least the last time I was there). South Hills is organized, the staff is awesome, and I generally enjoyed hangin' out there for a few hours shootin' the **** about beer, music, and whatever else came to mind.

Though I usually order my stuff from an online site (I hate traffic and any extra time in my car after work drains my soul), I've heard great things about South Hills from lots of different people.

Steeler...how much is shipping for your hops?

Hey do yinz live down in "souwside" proper or up on the sloops. I used to live on the sloops. Welcome to Pittsbrew, or Brewburgh whichever yinz prefer enat.

Oh...+2 on the South hills brewing. As a beginer thats the place to go out in carnegie in the pittsburgh area. I live 40miles south in California PA, and drive all the way there when I just gotta see and touch stuff, and the guys are very helpful and knowledgeable....

The original shop on Noblestown road is expanding. I was there just the other day and they grabbed up the space next to the original store to make the place almost twice the size it was. Jon and his staff are serious about making his customers happy and giving them the selection of supplies and equipment they need.

Salute! :mug:

Whats up fellas? I too am a Yinzer. I live in Natrona Heights and just got into the brew game and this site.

You know what they say. We are a drinking tahn with a football problem.

Since there's been a lot of South Hills Brewing mentioning go on, I'll throw Country Wines into the ring. It's owned by the same people. Don't be fooled by the name, though, their beer brewing section is just as if not bigger than their winemaking section. It might be more convenient for some than going to the South Hills location.

I got into the hobby of homebrewing when I was at Duquesne, brewed by first few batches in one of the rowhouses down there on S 16th st. The problem was with no insulation on the house the temperature was never stable, and it was hard to keep it all clean in that little house, but after about the 3rd batch everyone one was better than the last. I got my starter kit from Triangle, glad to hear they are still around. Nowadays I get all my stuff online.

I need to go get the kit and get to it. Country Wines seemed to have good pricing and were helpful. I just need a recipe so I know what supplies I need -- just haven't decided on what to lose my brewginity to.

I lived in the north hills for the last 15 years and just moved back to Erie...Welcome and go steelers! also there is a pretty decent brew shop on babcock (just off mcknight)...It's called Country Wines, but they sell everything for beer, wine, mead, etc...

i think its 3330 babcock blvd...

--cheers :mug:

just read the post above...country wines was already mentioned...:drunk: still a good place though...

I also agree with you on Ben. I am waiting for him to hold one of his classes so I can get a better idea as to what I am doing.

Pittsburgh has a few clubs around for HomeBrew. Three Rivers Underground Brewing (TRUB) is one I am familiar with, but have never attended a meeting. So many Burgher's here we could start another new club. Great places to gain valuable info and experience locally.

Salute! :mug:

Wow quite the following in the Burgh... Very cool site and great to meet you guys. Our pale is finishing in bottles and should be done in about 3-4 days. I believe we are starting a summer ale on monday or tuesday.

Back