i want to start kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanb

Reaction score
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=186

^ is that all i need?

i want to have 2 5gal corny kegs with two tops. i'm getting hung up on some of the language though.

i've read almost everything in the faq, but i just want somebody to tell me what to buy.

if that's not what i need...can somebody please just tell me where to click so i can order all that i need?

ordered! totally went with the perlicks, too!!!

i couldn't be ****ing happier.

i have a really dumb, noob question first...

i have a batch of beer that i bottled that is completely flat. i totally avoided transferring yeast to my secondary...and avoided whatever yeast fell to the bottom of my secondary to my bottling bucket. they've been sitting there for a month, and again...are completely flat.

is it possible to just up, and dump them all into one of my kegs when it gets here? or are they totally lost?

Why are they flat? Have you given them enough time at the fermenting temperature? Even if there is a little yeast, having it all dead is rare. But having it take longer happens.

If you do decide to pour them all in, be aware they will be sweeter ('cause of priming sugar not fermented), and you will have introduced oxygen into them, which will cause them to spoil faster.

=[ i don't know what's up. they've been sitting at around 70 degrees for a month.

i guess i'll just leave them for a couple more weeks. oh well.

oh well....at least now i can just make a new batch!!!

quick questions re: bottling some, then kegging the rest...

lol...is there any guidelines for doing this?

like...if i wanted to bottle 6 or 12, and keg the rest?

i assume i'd need to use those little priming pills i see at the store.

=[ i don't know what's up. they've been sitting at around 70 degrees for a month.

i guess i'll just leave them for a couple more weeks. oh well.

oh well....at least now i can just make a new batch!!!

At that temp and duration you should have already had carbed beer. You can salvage them if you are willing to uncap them and inject some yeast into the bottles with a syringe. I've done this before with a Belgian Strong Ale that I made well over a year ago. The primary yeast crapped out and wouldn't carb in the bottles. So I made a starter with some S-33 yeast and then uncapped them and injected each with a dose of yeast. After 2 weeks the magic happened and it turned out great. If you go this route just remember to keep everything sanitary, ie; bottle caps, syringe, and your hands.

Or if you prefer you can fill your keg with 5 gallons worth and force carb. Either way you'll be waiting until it's properly carbed.

I recently setup a 2 tap kegerator w/2 kegs and soon after ordered the "6 pack" of used kegs. Trust me, 2 kegs is not enough. I agree with the above comment regarding the Perlick upgrade. It's an investment, so spend the extra cash. After battling the foam issue you WON'T regret moving over to kegging, trust me. Good Luck!

Back