Floaties at the bottom of the beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven4est

Reaction score
I understand these floaties at the bottom of my bottle beer are okay and should be there, but how do i remove them completely? They just look unproffessional lol and kinda make my friends not wanna drink my brew

Bottling from a keg is the only way.
BTW, my beers have less sediment than most of the commercial bottle conditioned beer. You need to educate your friends to craft brews. :)

so you mean the only way is to keg my beer? theres nothing that even helps?? what commericial beers have this?

The list of bottle conditioned commercial beers is too long for me to list. Although I do believe there is a list floating around here somewhere.

How long are you leaving your beer before bottling and how much sediment are you getting?

i only have done 1 batch and im on my second batch. I only left my first batch in the primary for 2 weeks then i bottled and let sit for 2 weeks. it tastes good i would just like to eliminate the stuff at the bottom. Can i filter it or will secondaRy fermentATION HELP? or is kegging my beer the only way

It's hard when you are first starting out but it really does help to leave you beer in the fermenter longer so it clears. I leave all of my beer for at least 4 weeks in the primary and sometimes longer. You won't have more than a dusting of yeast in the bottles that way.

Longer primary also compacts the yeast cake so it is very easy to siphon without picking up anything from the bottom. Also, leaving your carbonated beer in the fridge for a week compacts the bottle yeast and makes it easier to pour.

Nothing but kegging will stop it because you need the yeast to ferment the priming sugar for carbonation.

okay awesome ill make sure ill keep the brew in the primary for at least 4 weeks and i also start saving for a kegerator.

Yeah, maybe to a secondary for 2 weeks instead of letting it sit in bottles for 2 weeks. The should leave enough yeast behind for carbing in the bottle.

Crash cooling the fermenter for 24 hours helps too. Most of the yeast will come out of suspension and the yeast cake will be so dense you can rack right off the top of it.

Anytime you carb your beer naturally (adding priming sugar before you bottle) you are going to have some seidment on the bottom of the bottle. There is no real way around that. Doing the things the others reccomend will reduce the amount but your still going to have some sediment.

Pour your beers into a glass, pour slow and leave the sediment on the bottom of the bottle with about a 1/4" of beer (or less when you start to get the techique down).

If they sink to the bottom, then why do you call them floaties? :p

I do a 3-4 week primary a 1-2 week brighting/secondary and bottle. This coupled with whirlfloc gives me very clear beer and minimal junk in the bottle. I can typically pour an entire bottle and see nary a trace of yeast in the glass.

If you bottle condition you need yeast to get bubbles, 100% clear bottle conditioned beer will be flat.

They basically fill from a keg.

They force carbonate the batch like we do when kegging, Then fill with a counter pressure bottle billing line, like we do when filling from our kegs.

well what does budweiser do?

Filter. To filter in a homebrew setting, you need a kegging setup. The first reason is that you would use 2 kegs, with jumper line and inline filter. You would push the beer with C02. The second reason is that once you filter out the yeast, you won't be able to naturally carbonate. Your only option would be force carbonation in a keg.

You can't really compare a homebrew setup to commercial brewing, especially Budweiser.

what are my alternatives to adiding the sugar to carbonate besides kegging?

Nothing. Things like secondary fermentation (brightening) and cold crashing will minimize sediment, but as has been said, if you're naturally carbonating beer in the bottle, you're going to get some sediment. If sediment-free beer is really important to you, then kegging is about your only solution, the next step being filtering (kegging and then some). Really, kegging is one of those investments that pays for itself, and in no time you'll be wondering how you ever did without it.

I take it you and your friends are big Bud/Miller/Coors fans. I'm not one to get on people for their preferences, Lord knows I enjoy my share of BMC, and I do try to get my lagers as clear as possible, but if you're getting into brewing, it's a great time to start expanding your knowledge and appreciation of crafted beers. The sediment in beer isn't going to hurt you, it's just yeast and is actually good for you.

Latest posts

Back