Added aroma hops too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did my first 2 partial mashes tonight with only a few errors. I used a 5 gal rubbermaid container for the seeping and it held temp fairly well for over an hour. I started by making a wheat beer and found that it went so well that I would do the other partial mash kit since I already had everything out.

Things went fine until I looked at the wrong set of instructions for adding the aroma hops. I missread adding the final 1 oz of Tettnange during the final 2 minutes and instead added it for the final 20 minutes.:( This was for a Boston Red Ale from Midwest and I am not sure if this mistake will make it too bitter. There was 1 oz on Tettnage hops at the start of the boil already. Do you think this will affect it too much? If so, is there anything that can be done now or next time?

Thanks,

Mick

You will get a little bit of extra bitterness, but not much. The big loss is all of the aroma which was boiled off in that 20minutes.

You can dry hop a little to bring back the aroma. You'll end up with pretty much the same aroma, but a little extra hop flavor. 20 minutes isn't enough to get too much extra bitterness out of that addition. Some, but more flavor but bitterness.

If I am only using a brew bucket for the fermentor can I still dry-hop? I am not familiar with dry-hopping so any ideas or recommendations will be appreciated. I forgot to mention that this was a 4.5 gallon boil.

Thanks for the replies...

Mick

Usually, you want to transfer to secondary to dry hop, but some folks just toss them into the primary when the beer is almost done fermenting.

Thanks for the solution. I have been wanting to buy a glass carboy secondary and now I have a definite reason. I read online that I should do leave the dry hops in for no more than 2 weeks in order to prevent "grass like after-taste", does anyone agree with this statement?

Mick

I read online that I should do leave the dry hops in for no more than 2 weeks in order to prevent "grass like after-taste", does anyone agree with this statement?

That's been my experience, although some people have left hops in their kegs until float.

Did a Real Ale with the added pack from Austinbrewer. Steeped some grains and after the hot break put in a ounce of Saaz using a tea ball. While cooling the wort I fished the tea ball out and it had opened up. Oh well nothing I can do about that.

I split it between two Mr Beer kegs and when I got down to the last bit of wort It looked like someone had already digested it. Put that in the keg to. Used Coopers yeast in one and 05 in the other. It has been two days and both are working nicely with lots of krausen on top. Do you think it will be to hopy?

Going to let it sit for 2 weeks.

Back