Forgot Dry Malt in Boil - already pitched yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyscho

Reaction score
I'm using a Midwest Hank's Hefeweizen kit, and completely forgot the Dry Malt in the box.... I pitched the yeast, put it in the basement, got back to the kitchen and realized my error. I'm not sure if this is kosher, but I quickly dumped it in, and mixed it with my aerator that is attached to my drill. It seemed to mix fairly well. Will this work, or am I wasting my time and will I need to start over?

Well - we will see. Sort of like . . .dry malting. You might have found a new technique.

If nothing else I bet you have learned. I know my first few batches I was putting the wrong hops in at the wrong times.

I feel it might not be exactly what you expect but it has a chance of working out OK.

one thing I have learned is I am always learning from the success's AND from mistakes.

It should work, only thing I can think of is a risk of contamination from not boiling your malt. Hope it turns out for ya.

Other than the small chance of contamination, I don't see any problem. Ordinarily, increased bitterness would be a concern, but the IBUs for hefes are so low I doubt that will be a concern.

Thanks much.... will let you know how it goes... I'm most worried about contamination... how will I know? Will it be apparent?

Back