Blueberry wine advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClutchDude

Reaction score
I'm planning on making my first fruit wine next month. Blueberries'll come into season here and I'll be able to find them at an affordable price! Before driving out to the farms an 1 1/2hr away though, I was hoping to get some good advice here and hopefully not make a n00b mistake.

The recipe i'm going off of is http://homemadewine.wordpress.com/blueberry-wine-recipe/

The yeast I plan on using is Pasteur Champagne from Red Star.
I've got the pectic enzyme, Potassium Metabisulfite & Sorbate, acid blend. and grape tannin too.

I'm planning on "Crushing" the thawed berries with a meat tenderizer mallet.

Anyone have some advice?

Freeze the first for a few days, that helps break down the cellular structure. You wont need to really do any more after that then just give them a squeeze when they are in the mesh bag.

It looks like a good recipe to me! A couple of things I'd suggest, though- move it to secondary at 1.010 or less- .990 is about done, and I prefer to have just a little fermentation left so that the co2 blanket helps protect your wine some. This should be in primary 3-7 days, depending on the temperature and how fast it goes.

Also, I would NOT bottle in a month. I'd rack it every 30-45 days for a couple of times first, and then it would be ok to bottle. You might drop quite a bit of lees in the secondary- especially if you squeeze the fruit bag like the recipe suggests. Otherwise, it looks really good to me!

I myself prefer to rack around 1.020 as Ive seen a few stalled fermentations from racking to late and leaving behind yeast that has settled out.

Back