Poll: what style (preferable within BJCP) do you brew the most?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually some sort of IPA here. I try to have one on tap at all times and rotate various other things around it.

So far, we've been all over the place, but the most common style is a cream ale. Seems to be an all around crowd-pleaser that's cheap to brew, finishes pretty quickly and keeps us in beer. We've also almost always got a stout or porter of some variety in the kegerator, and have started moving to having an IPA or PA always on tap as well, leaving us one slot for experimenting with different things :)

I can't think of a particular substyle that I brew more than others but the combo of Stouts/English ales/German lagers make up most of them. But I also brew a fair share of Belgians. I tend to always have a German lager or 3 going so I guess put me down for German lagers.

I don't brew IPAs much at all...I'm typ all about the malt.

Updated:... Some changes in position and new styles showing up... 53 votes already!

IPA 15
American Ale 9
Stout 7
Light hybrid beer 3
English Brown Ale 3
Porter 3
English Pale Ale 3
German wheat/rye 2
Smoke-flavored beer 1
Belgian/French Ale 1
Amber hybrid beer 1
Cider 1
Mead 1
Specialty beer 1
Light lager 1
European amber lager 1

Well, its changed a bit recently but English Browns have been pretty much a staple in my house. Now I'm working on my German Lager technique.

Cream ale, hefe, brown ale, porter, and saison.

I used to be a major hop head, been backing way down lately. doing the malty thing!

Updated:... Some changes in position and American Ale catching up with IPA! Please tell me what is your most frequent brew if you have not done so yet!

IPA 16
American Ale 14
Stout 8
Light hybrid beer 5
English Brown Ale 5
Porter 4
German wheat/rye 4
English Pale Ale 3
Belgian/French Ale 2
Smoke-flavored beer 1
Amber hybrid beer 1
Cider 1
Mead 1
Specialty beer 1
Light lager 1
European amber lager 1

Updated:

IPA 17
American Ale 15

Stout 9
Light hybrid beer 5
English Brown Ale 5
German wheat/rye 5
Porter 4
English Pale Ale 4
Belgian/French Ale 2
Smoke-flavored beer 1
Amber hybrid beer 1
Cider 1
Mead 1
Specialty beer 1
Light lager 1
European amber lager 1

So, over 60 votes... Little surprise on the top of the list since I thought Pale Ales (APA or IPA) were by far the most frequently brewed by everyone.

Stouts coming in third may be a result of doing this poll during winter... so the results may be a bit biased.

I guess the biggest surprise for me was the absence of BJCP 18: Belgian Strong Ale in the list. I was under the impression that people brew them a lot more often than the poll suggested, granted the sampling here by no means assure good statistical representation.

Also, I was struck by the paucity of lager votes, but that may be just because a good number of homebrewers don't have lagering capabilities. I'm personally a big fan of lagers. Because of bad reputation given by tasteless BMCs, they are so much underestimated IMO. A good lager can pretty much be appreciated any time of the year and can have a lot of malt character to it.

Anyway, keep voting if you have not done so yet. I would love to have at least 100 votes total for a more representative sample.

Back