yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normeller

Reaction score
OK which is right. When do I pitch my starter--during prime activity or after 24 hours? Should I decant the wort or pitch the whole thing. I am doing all grain brewing-first time.

As with just about anything homebrewing-related -- both ways are correct. Some say pitch at high krausen to ensure the yeast take right off, others say let it ferment out and decant to make sure you have the most yeast possible.

FWIW I usually let it go for a week, cold crash it, decant the beer off the top, swirl it up and dump it in. Fermentation seems to take off about 3-5 hours later.

I did a starter for my last batch and pitched(no decanting) about 18 hours after stepping it up. It was bubbling vigorously in under 2 hours. Not trying knock what archiefl98 said, just relating my experience. As he said, both ways are correct and will get you good results.

I usually let mine go so long, only because I rarely actually brew on the day I plan. (Stupid erratic work schedule) I have yet to catch one at high krausen to pitch it. I'd love to see the difference.

I did a starter for my last batch and pitched(no decanting) about 18 hours after stepping it up. It was bubbling vigorously in under 2 hours. Not trying knock what archiefl98 said, just relating my experience. As he said, both ways are correct and will get you good results.

I did almost the exact same thing with my last batch. I didn't get a krausen on my starter and from what I've read on here that is normal. I did get very active bubbling up the sides of the flask.

So yea, both ways work. Try both and see what you like best.

I usually let mine go so long, only because I rarely actually brew on the day I plan. (Stupid erratic work schedule) I have yet to catch one at high krausen to pitch it. I'd love to see the difference.

It's amazing. I couldn't believe it. After I pitched I watched a movie and on my way out to the garage immediately afterward I noticed a steady stream of bubbles vigorously blowing out of the airlock. I almost switched to a blow off tube, but it turned out I didn't need it. So yeah, if you can manage it, do it. It's the coolest thing I have seen in my brewing so far.

I would recommend getting a stir plate from stirstarters then pitching the whole thing. Generally the yeast is off and running fairly quickly then. Plus it is cheap and easy.

Most of my starters smell pretty funky, and I wouldn't want that in a pilsner or helles or other smaller beer.

On the other hand, I have a starter going right now with Belgian Strong Ale yeast (wy 1388) and it smells damned good. I will still decant before pitching.

Back