Got a keg, riddled with guilt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you are right, the keg I'm after was stolen. the guy never took it back after his high school grad party. but he is 40 years old now and I doubt it would be worth trying to clean,if it could be cleaned at all. so I dont feel bad about it,but I try to not get shaddy things. having said that,kegs should be taken back.

They probably wouldn't take that keg back anyways.

this is the email I received from Schaefer for new kegs.

Hi Mark, thank you for your interest in our product. All our kegs ship from Buffalo, NY.

All kegs have Micro-Matic Draught (sanky) fitting.

15.5 gal / 58.6 litre Stainless Steel keg - $135.70

13.2 gal / 50.0 litre Stainless Steel keg - $140.00

5.16 gal / 19.5 litre ECO keg = $89.99

USED 30 litre PLUS kegs - $35.00 each

5.16 gal / 19.5 litre PLUS keg BLACK = $99.95,
5.16 gal / 19.5 litre PLUS keg BLUE = $99.95

3.85 gal / 15.0 litre freshKEG RR with Draught fitting & built in gas chamber = $127.50
2.95 gal / 11..3 litre freshKEG RR with Draught fitting & built in gas chamber = $122.50

freshKEG, Stainless steel Tap = $57.00
freshKEG Preset regulator = $33.45
freshKEG draft/sanky 'T'coupler = $35.20

All kegs are shipped once payment is received.

Please let me know if I can be of future assistance

Always drink fresh Draught

Richard Wagner

President - Keg Club Inc. / Schaefer Kegs NA
Tel 519 751 1201

High quality Schaefer containers for any application.....

If I had to do it all over I would have just bought three new kegs from the start.

Yup, that's where we get ours, we got a pallet of these yesterday.
5.16 gal / 19.5 litre ECO keg = $89.99

$2 bucks off each for getting more than 20

We also got some of those 2.95 gallon fresh kegs for our liquor store accounts. I brought one home last weekend and it was a neat little keg, stays fresh indefinitely.

Yup, that's where we get ours, we got a pallet of these yesterday.

$2 bucks off each for getting more than 20

We also got some of those 2.95 gallon fresh kegs for our liquor store accounts. I brought one home last weekend and it was a neat little keg, stays fresh indefinitely.

:eek:

Showoff!!!;)

Sounds to me like the OP bought the keg in good faith. Nevertheless, there's a gray area. Second nevertheless, he's in a state where any further disposition of the keg could be problematic.

The alternatives I see are: 1. You can live with keeping the keg; so get busy with that plasma torch. 2. You can't live with it; junk it and write off the money you spent.

I may be new here...but isn't this really just an extension of the milk crate/shopping cart conundrum?

If he stole it, that would not be cool--if he paid for it unwittingly in an honest purchase and found out later that's a different story.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Another one of these keg ethics threads.

Funny how some people will get all worked up about a keg, but will bend over backward to justify their illegal download of movies, games, music, etc....

It may be unethical or illegal to possess a certain keg. But if you exhaust every means to return it, or if the person who sold it tells you it is legit, how far do you really need to go to be ethical?

If you are going to apply an ethical argument to something, you'd better apply it all the way across the board. If you find $10 bucks in the store, do you pocket it or try to return it? Is it OK to steal music online because the RIA is a bunch of thugs, but then it's wrong to get a keg that has been sitting in someone's garage for ten years?

You cannot in good faith say that it's not OK to steal from an industry you like, but totally OK to steal from one you despise.

Another one of these keg ethics threads.

Funny how some people will get all worked up about a keg, but will bend over backward to justify their illegal download of movies, games, music, etc....

It may be unethical or illegal to possess a certain keg. But if you exhaust every means to return it, or if the person who sold it tells you it is legit, how far do you really need to go to be ethical?

If you are going to apply an ethical argument to something, you'd better apply it all the way across the board. If you find $10 bucks in the store, do you pocket it or try to return it? Is it OK to steal music online because the RIA is a bunch of thugs, but then it's wrong to get a keg that has been sitting in someone's garage for ten years?

You cannot in good faith say that it's not OK to steal from an industry you like, but totally OK to steal from one you despise.
All of my kegs happen to be from a brewery that has and will continue to get most of the money I spend on commercial beer. This was completely by chance, but I do wonder if there's a bit of karma there.

Hi Nebben,
I am also a Utahrd and know the liquor laws of which you live under. One thing you forgot to mention is we can only get the watered down beer on tap in the bars. So with this in mind this keg did not even come from a bar in Utah. I can't even imagine anywhere within a 200 mile radius that would have Guinness on tap. At the least you would have to cross a border for find a distributor.

Call around and see if the NV or WY distributor is interested in it and is willing to pick it up. If not it is safe to say you own the keg.

BTW I work in transportation and was in Idaho a month or so ago, and saw a keg in front of a thrift store on the way to the crew apartment. I went back when it was open and got a keg for $5. If it makes you feel better I will trade you my keg for a cool Guinness one.

"Current deposit amounts in California are about $15 per keg" Not around these parts of Kalifonia. $50 accrossed the board, BMC to SN.

$15 is what breweries charge the distributors, who charge the retail stores/bars a higher fee, retail store will then charge the customer even more. Bringing us up to $35-50. This way if you keep the keg, the store and distributor are covered, but the brewery suffers. If breweries were to raise their deposit, it could end up costing more than the beer itself.

Hi Nebben,
I am also a Utahrd and know the liquor laws of which you live under. One thing you forgot to mention is we can only get the watered down beer on tap in the bars. So with this in mind this keg did not even come from a bar in Utah

Guinness Draught is barely over 4%.

Copyright infringement != stealing.

There needs to be a victim for there to be stealing. In this case, its the brewery. Downloading copyrighted music is only stealing if you were going to buy it, and now aren't.

Now, I don't think its really okay, but they're hardly even related.

Latest posts

Back