90 / 120 etc minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
Couple questions here actually. Dogfish Head (among others) has what they call a 90 Minute IPA as well as a 120 Minute I believe. My question here is what is this in reference to? Is the answer as obvious as the boil length or is it something else.

My other question is unrelated, but I was wondering if anyone could offer a simple explanation as to what a beer that is called a "Double" or "Triple" means.

Thanks in advance.

wow really? In measured amounts obviously right? I can see that really giving the beer an even balance between bitterness and aroma. Does this only apply to IPA style beers or can virtually any beer be something like a 90 120 or even a 180?

It's not really a recognized descriptor, it's just Dogfish Head's name for that particular beer. If you really wanted to, yes, you could make your own 180 Minute IPA. But it's referring to the amount of time in which it's continuously hopped, not just to the boil time. It's definitely kind of an IPA thing.... So a 90 Minute Stout wouldn't make much sense unless you continuously hopped your stout for 90 minutes, which would be weird and wayyyy off of style.

But in the end, it's your beer, call it what you want! Like Hard Cock, for example. :p

As far as a double/dubbel vs a triple/tripel, those are Trappist Belgian styles, and their name originates from the names the monks originally used.

A doppelbock is something completely different ... just because it has double in the name means nothing, in relation to a Dubbel.

Back