Hop aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
So I am looking at the style guide for a American Amber Ale and it states
"Aroma: Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is common, but not required. Moderately low to moderately high maltiness balances and sometimes masks the hop presentation, and usually shows a moderate caramel character. Esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl. "

If I had a receipe like...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Beer
Brewer: Chris
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.89 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.22 %
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.25 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.75 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

What kind of hop aroma would this produce?

Herbal, spicy, pleasant aroma, hint of floral and citrus.

That would work well in an Amber. If you wanted more citrus, you could swap the Amarillo with the 15 minute add.

according to the hopsunion pdf I have, the sterling- herbal, spicy with a hint of floral and citrus. the saaz-mild, spicy and earthy. They are both substitutes for each other. Whether or not 3/4oz would be enough to pick this up once in the boil I'm not sure. I'm currently drinking an American Amber Ale I dryhopped with 1 oz of cascade. It has a very pronounced grapefruit flavor and aroma. Actually quite nice in the phoenix heat. I wasn't really going for style, I just like amber ale and decided to start dry hopping with it to learn the different hop flavors. the last one was with simcoe and it came out a little piney and earthy. Didnt really care for the earthy part though. Next will be tett since I have a lb of it. I plan on using 1 oz each time I make a batch so I can record the differences in flavor and can adjust from there.

Just so happens that one of the style examples is Troegs Hopback Amber Ale and is made across town from me. So after work, I went and had a glass to remember how it tasted. Big aroma and flavor. and if their site is right, actually outside of the guideline for IBUs.

maybe I will do a flameout addition instead of 5 min and make up for the ibu elsewere.

Big aroma and flavor. and if their site is right, actually outside of the guideline for IBUs.
Keep in mind that there are various methods for calculating IBUs and that all of them are just estimates. I know that the Troegs method considers the perception of bitterness from flavor and aroma in their IBU numbers.

started off thinking that I was not going to brew today, but after looking at the radar I saw a window between rain showers and thought i'd give it a shot. missed mash temp by 1 degree low, had to move to the fornt purch becuse I thought it was going to rain during the boil (didn't start to rain until transfer to carboy) I missed my SG by a lot and I am not sure what happened there because I thought I was doing a good job at heating the sparge water hot enough, but I guess not. I wonder about that lbhs crush...

so there is 5.5 gallons of potentially 4% beer instead of estimated 5.1% Oh well its amber and smells good, so all in all a good day.

I am going to dry hop this to the get the citrus aroma.

Amarillo hops are AMAZING for aroma with dry hop. I use a full ounce for dry hop in my pale ale; 1/2 oz would be great for an amber. If they made an amarillo hop air freshener, I'd buy a case. :D

- Eric

Back