Mentorship Program - Interest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EinGutesBier said:
I can mentor for both extract and all grain. Right now I'm in northcentral Wisconsin, but I may be in central North Dakota in a month. Depending on my location, I'd be happy to mentor for either area. In particular, I'd like to help any North Dakotans just because it seems like home brewing could use a good boost over there. :mug:

Are any HBT members from ND or WI?

what? got something against Minnesota? Stop by on your way through for a beer.

EinGutesBier said:
I can mentor for both extract and all grain. Right now I'm in northcentral Wisconsin, but I may be in central North Dakota in a month. Depending on my location, I'd be happy to mentor for either area. In particular, I'd like to help any North Dakotans just because it seems like home brewing could use a good boost over there. :mug:

Are any HBT members from ND or WI?

Where in "northcentral WI" are you?

I live in middle Tennessee, no local homebrew shop, no one else homebrew's around here that I know of. Im going to start all grain soon, it would be nice to see someone with experience make a batch so I don't waste a bunch of ingredient's. Im willing to drive to Nashville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga to learn. Wow, this feels oddly like a dating service.:eek:

I'd be really interested in doing this..
I'm in the SE (Oakland County) Michigan area..

I'd like to learn how to do mashes..

I'd be willing to teach and help new brewers with what I know..

I'd be willing to mentor with AG. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have my process down.

I could support SE Michigan and perhaps other areas when I travel on business (but that would be hit or miss).

BrianP said:
I'd be willing to mentor with AG. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have my process down.

I could support SE Michigan and perhaps other areas when I travel on business (but that would be hit or miss).

I'll see you tomorrow about 4.

It's good to see the interest picking up. I still get PMs from brewers looking to help out. Right now as we sit there are a dozen or so brewers willing to travel, or host first time AG brewers and render assistance.

I'm in contact with some of the MODs on developing this and incorporating it into the scheme of things. I'll post more when I know more.

Untill then I am still collecting PM's from folks who are willing to help out, as well as hooking people up with a brewer if they need help.

So... PM me if you can mentor, or if you need one. (You can also post a message here if you are in need of help)

Thanks!
John

I'd be up for helping anyone in the Chicago area. Actually, Rdwj, Cheese and Snakebone came to my house to watch me do an all grain session before they attempted theirs. Since that time, FermentEd, srm775 and a few others have joined in tastings, group brews, etc. In fact, we have a get together planned this Satuday. I'm sure some of these other area brewers would be willing to help.

I think it's a great idea. I always get a kick out of teaching someone new how to brew, and an even bigger kick teaching a long-time extract brewer what AG is all about. I'll be interested to see how the forum can support something like this.

Seems like a great idea. Would love to brew an all grain batch with someone there to guide me through the steps. It looks to intimidating right now for me to tackle solo, something would go terribly awry :p

Seabee John said:
What? Meeeeeechigani type getting stuck in the snow??? must be a transplant...

Not stuck as in "dammit, I can't get out of this ditch", stuck as in "Holy crap, with this weather, there are tons of cops out and I can't drive an hour and a half back from Ann Arbor after drinking and brewing!"

Fine line. lol

capcrnch said:
Not stuck as in "dammit, I can't get out of this ditch", stuck as in "Holy crap, with this weather, there are tons of cops out and I can't drive an hour and a half back from Ann Arbor after drinking and brewing!"

Fine line. lol

Well since you put it that way...I concur! so....relaxxx....dont worry... have another home brew!!!

Anyone in the OKC area? I'd love to have a mentor, but if anyone just wants to brew together sometime let me know. I'm north OKC/Edmond.

thedailyaustin said:
Anyone in the OKC area? I'd love to have a mentor, but if anyone just wants to brew together sometime let me know. I'm north OKC/Edmond.

No one on "my" list from that area. If anyone is out there that wants to help out...let the PM's fly

Seabee John. I am almost always busy on weekends, but if you want a little help (drinking or brewing:D ) we can try to plan something. I only live about 50 min from you and since my orders got canceled for the sand box I guess I'll be doing a little more brewing (and fishing). I only have 8 AG sessions under my belt, but I have added quite a few tools to my invintory and my last two batches have gone quite well hitting all temps and OG. Usually my beers have not tasted all that good for quite a few weeks after bottleing but the last two (one in primary and one in secondary) actualy tasted good after a hydrometer reading. Any way I could try to help as much as possible, granted I'm no expert but I am starting to feel more confident. This offer goes out to any one in the area. I like the idea of a local brew adviser and taster.

This is a great idea! I've been wanting to take the leap into AG brewing but have avoided it due to fear of equipment and lack of knowledge. I'd love to sit in on a typical brew day for an AG batch and have a mentor helping me set up my own AG equipment and helping me throughout.

Anyone in the Omaha or nearby area feel free to PM or email me ([email protected])

FEARDIZ said:
I'd like to watch or help an all grain brew in the area

Feardiz, just wondering what kind of experience you have in AG?

This is really a note to all potential mentors, AG, PM, Extract, or all three... please list your experience level in your initial post so folks can see how you can help.

Also, please list your home City in your profile so folks know who to PM for help.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sause, you're a little far for a brew day for me, but a druken brew weekend might be doable!

Just found this thread, and it's exactly what I've been looking for! Any mentors from FL on that list? If not, I may have to hit up one of these TX guys when I visit my parents in Austin.

I'd be down splitting a batch of AG with someone in Ohio. I'm 30 miles south of columbus. Have to be your location. I am not setup for AG. I would be the TrainEEE. PM me if interested.

I'm northwest of Detroit and I'd be willing to split a batch on my AG set-up. What I'm suggesting is you come to my place with an empty primary, we'll split the grain bill, brew the beer together and you'll leave with a full primary and hopefully a better understanding of how easy AG really is.

Just google 48356 to see how close you are to me.

Linc

This is a great idea. I plan to make the jump to AG at some point and it would be great to avoid some/most of the common mistakes. My location is on my profile.

On another thread, someone asked:

What entails a brewday? Do you hold informal workshops for newer brewers, or do many people bring things to actually brew? If so, do they actually bring it all with them when they leave? Or let it ferment there? These must seem like silly questions- but I'm sure that some one else is wondering the same thing. I'd love to attend and watch the pro's go threw the motions and talk about what and why and how you go about your brewing procedure.

I thought this thread was a better place to answer.

It's really whatever the attendees want. At the last Central Jersey AG Seminar, we had 5 people that were relatively experienced extract brewers that were looking to convert to all grain. The first 3 that RSVP'd soonest got in on the 20 gallons we brewed that day (Two 10's back to back). They brought fermenters and took the goods away. I had maybe 80% of the ingredients needed and people taking shares just reimbursed me at my cost. A few guys also just watched what was going on and tasted various beers that everyone brought.

I will admit that the more people that show up who don't have their hands directly in the process actually serve as more of a distraction. It was manageable, but you'd want to keep the ratio of brewers to non brewers pretty high.

As I progress into more complicated equipment using pumps and stuff, I would try my best to help new AG brewers understand where you could accomplish similar functions with more basic equipment. For example, you can carefully pour your sparge water from a bucket into the MLT instead of pumping from the direct fired HLT.

If someone is already working on aquiring the equipment for AG, it might even be better to brew on YOUR stuff at your house.

Bobby_M said:
As I progress into more complicated equipment using pumps and stuff, I would try my best to help new AG brewers understand where you could accomplish similar functions with more basic equipment. For example, you can carefully pour your sparge water from a bucket into the MLT instead of pumping from the direct fired HLT.

I'll run mine the next time. My setup is pretty much what yours was...

Yeah I'd like to help/learn on an all grain batch myself. I live near the Chicagoland area.

I'm still a newbie myself with about 10 AG batches under my belt. But I'd be willing to help out anyone in the Cleveland area, especially east side.

If anyone wants to show me what a "real" homebrew process looks like, I'm up for that too. :) I'm still at the 5gal cooler and turkey fryer stage. :D

Craig

I'm still at the 5gal cooler and turkey fryer stage. :D

Craig[/QUOTE]

:off: I was pondering getting my hands on that very setup to start my AG equipment- now that I know others are doing it- I'm gonna use that Cobellas' gift card for a Turkey Fryer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back