Best Way to Experiment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomase811

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to homebrewing, My brother and I have brewed two batches so far and needless to say we are very amateur. My question is: What are things to look for, taste for, when to taste, when to take readings, etc. to learn or know how the beer might taste...rather than waiting a month to be surprised by the final results? Also is there such a thing as a test batch? It will probably take a lot of experience to know what to look for but if I could get some tips to help out that would be awesome. Thanks guys.

taste test at bottling, 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks

make 3 batches of the same thing relatively close together, 1-2 weeks apart
take notes about brewing and fermenting. If one comes out different you'll know what happened differently during making that batch. If its better use it, if it wasn't as good scrap that procedure.

you'll learn more about brewing doing this than what a lot of new brewers do.
jumping around trying to brew every style they like as soon as they have malt.

As far as test batches go. Every new recipe is a test batch for me. If your brewing 5 gallon batches, split em' pitch 2 kinds of yeast. Take good notes at tasting and along the way.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? The best pale ale or just learn what each malt contributes? each hop? each yeast? experiment with everything and taste everything before you put it in the beer.
I brew 12 gallon batches and split into 2 fermenters and pitch 2 yeasts. It's just what I have been doing for 10 years and I like having 2 beers from 1 batch, and then I take good notes at tasting time...
Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back