Sugestions for hop combinations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRedimus

Reaction score
The easiest way to explain what I am looking for is to say I want something Summer Shandy-ish, only without adding any fruit. I have started with a very simple heffe recipe, only I changed the aroma hops to sorachi ace. What would be a good bittering hop that would give me a good base flavor, without drowning out the sorachi ace, and maybe even enhance the lemony flavor that I am looking for? At the moment I have hallertauer, simply because that is what the origanol recipe had. (Edworts)

A second question I had is, when beersmith scaled the recipe to 25.5 gallons it only scaled the sorachi ace to, 0.92oz., Is this correct? (I will be doing a 5 gal test batch before a full size 25.5)

You might try one of the English fruity/earthy hops, like Fuggles, or a Goldings.

Bramling Cross can have a really nice blackcurrant-y fruity note if you use a large amount of it for aroma. Alternatively, to my palate Simcoe can be very "peachy" which might set off the Sorachi nicely.

MMMMM BEER McRedimus Brother!!!

dangloverenator...

I'm thinking of doing a Saison and I see you have it bottled. Any good ideas for Malts and Hops? Just starting my search.

Back