Critique my first recipe! (also, first post)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sittingcow

Reaction score
this is the first recipe i've designed, and i haven't brewed it yet. tell me what is good and what is not so good! oh, and hi!

[150 degrees, 30 minutes]
1# 2-row pale
1# Carapils dextrin malt
0.5# Caramel 60L
1# Raw barley

6# Light malt syrup

(60) 1 oz Northern Brewer
(60) 1 oz Nugget
(15) 1.5 oz Amarillo
(1) 0.5 oz Amarillo

WLP001 (California Ale) Yeast

Beer Recipator estimates -
OG 1054
FG 1010
59 IBU
(The OG is probably a little over-estimated, since the specialty grains won't be efficiently utilized)

Any and all input is gladly welcomed!

Looks like a nice IPA, I have recently become a big fan of Amarillo as well. Nugget gave me great bittering on my IIPA. Looks interesting to me, should turn out nicely.

Unless you plan on mashing your grains rather than just steeping them, the 2-row won't contribute anything to your beer. I would drop it and just increase your extract (since this is the source of all your fermentables) while keeping the other specialty grains for characteristics like color, flavor, body, and mouthfeel.

Hop additions look pretty good to me. I love amarillo for flavor and aroma, you may want to consider dry hopping with it if you use a secondary.

Back