Austin kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose5

Reaction score
Who has brewed the Austin Oktoberfest/Marzen kit? I was in the process of ordering it when I noticed the yeast was for a lager. Do you have to do the lagering process with this recipe?

I haven't brewed it, but Oktoberfest beers are typically lagers. Since it's a lager yeast, you will probably at least want to ferment at a lower temperature than you'd use for ales.

I can say from personal experience if you can ferment at 60 degrees go for it. Bottle and condition at the same temp and then place in cold storage for a few weeks. I normally ferment lagers at 50 and then lager for several weeks at 35 before kegging. For giggles I used WL 0830 German lager yeast in a batch at 60 degrees and then kegged without actually lagering. It wasn't the smoothest lager but still a very drinkable true lager.

Thanks. Don't know if I can pull off 60 degrees yet. Have to wait for colder weather. Just trying to cheer myself up. I ordered the winter ale kit from Midwest. Proceeding with the boil. I dumped in the first 1/2 ounce of hops. Reacted like Mentos in a coke bottle. Usually I pick the pot up off the burner and it settles down. Not this time. Catastrophic boil over. Total loss. Time to shelve my 10 quart pot and get a bigger one for sure. Enjoying my previous brew. A nice kolsch. Turned out well. My best yet.

Back