temp control disaster bottles too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slawre5

Reaction score
I recently had a batch of beer that was bottle conditioning get down to 33 degrees fahrenheit by mistake. I noticed about 12 hours later.

Is there any way to salvage this bottled beer? What I want to know is:
1. Can i bring the bottles back up to temperature and rouse the yeast to get it carbonating again?
2. should i dump all the bottles into a bucket, let it warm up, re-prime with corn sugar, repitch some yeast, and rebottle? (PITA)

Worst comes to worst I will dump them into a keg in my kegerator to force carb and won't be able to enter them in contests/give them out to people. :(

How long was it in bottles before it dipped to 33F?

I would just get it up to the warmer temps, slowly, and give it some more time. I wouldn't even rouse the yeast, at least not for now... Once they're carbonating at least for 3 weeks, chill one down for a week (in the fridge) and try it...

Chances are, it will be just fine. If not, then try inverting the bottles, for a moment, and then give them another couple of weeks before trying another...

I would NOT dump them into the bucket again and re-prime... For one thing, you'll oxidize the brew... Might as well just toss it out at that point, IMO.

Patience young brewer, patience... :D

I had bottled a batch that didn't carb that i ended up moving to a keg. I took care to sanitize the bottles and opener and racked very slowly into the keg. Once it was kegged I carbed it to where I wanted and was still able to bottle a few from the keg but I feel I was very lucky that I didn't get oxidize it too badly.

I would definitely warm it back up and wait a few weeks first and use the kegging as a last resort.

In the fermerator, some of the bottles had been carbonating for 2 weeks and the others had been carbonating for 4 days....:mad:

Sadly, this all happened because I did not remove the jumper on the hot side of my "ebay aqauarium temp control build". The controller appeared to be working just fine when all of a sudden, a cold snap hit causing my fermerator to get too cold. This caused the heater to come on on the temp controller and because my jumper was still intact it made the fridge keep running all the way down to 33 degrees.

Lesson learned: things aren't as easy as them seem...read the instructions carefully. :eek:

Back