Temp too low to start fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIsPaul

Reaction score
Hi All.

I brewed a Partial Mash AHS Blue Moon Clone on Sunday. Pitched WLP400 (Belgian Wit) at 75 degrees, then moved it to my fermentation fridge (temp controlled freezer) and it has been there at 64 degrees since.

It's in a carboy, and I have yet to see any sign of fermentation. I know that airlock activity isn't everything, but there is no krasuen formation, sign of life, anything. Is this bad yeast? Too low of a temp to get Fermentation going? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The temperature is fine. Liquid yeast will be slow to start without a starter. It should come to life but if you don't see anything by tomorrow I would recommend getting some dry yeast and pitch that. Also you may want to take a hydrometer reading. It could be working and you just not be able to tell (but I doubt it).

What dry yeast do you recommend as a replacement for WLP400? Could I just pitch the same liquid yeast in again in a warmer environment?

Safbrew T-58 should do nicely with it, or Danstar Munich if you can't find that. You can repitch the liquid yeast as well but you would see better results from pitching a dry yeast (without a starter). I wouldn't recommend repitching until you take another gravity measurement. Be sure to sanitize anything that touches the wort.

Thanks y'all! This is my 5th batch, so I've got a few beers hanging around for sure. Just worried because this is the first time I've yet to see a little yeasty action.

Back