Can you store unboiled wort to make a starter later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
So I made a big IPA yesterday, ended up with too much final runnings (1/2 gallon) which I cooled in mason jars and measured the gravity at 1.041 @ 65F. This is a perfect wort for a starter!

The problem is I won't need to make a starter for a few more weeks.

Can I store this unboiled wort in the fridge for 3 weeks and then boil and use it for a starter later?

As long as the wort is boiled to sanitation, and the container you store them in is sanitized as well, then you should be fine.

I take unfermented wort and put them into clean 500ml bottles to use for krausening later. Just store them in the fridge, and they should last a couple of weeks without problem.

Well I didn't boil the wort before putting in the fridge, I just took it from the mash tun final runnings and added it to clean mason jars and sealed them. That was just last night.

Maybe I'll boil it for 10 minutes tonight and put it into sanitized mason jars and lids and then boil another 10 minutes before I use the wort for a starter.

If the mason jars weren't sanitized, just boil them in a bath of water the same way you would when canning. The sooner the better in terms of not producing off flavors.

If the mason jars weren't sanitized, just boil them in a bath of water the same way you would when canning. The sooner the better in terms of not producing off flavors.

Awesome, hadn't thought of that! I'll do that today.

I think I would boil the wort then drain into sanitized jars while it is boiling.. put the lids and rings on and when they seal pop em in the fridge... I did this and used em later so far no problems... I am gonna invest in a pressure cannerthough.. SOOOOO nice to just pop a quart jar open, and pour it into a sanitized flask and be done.. I don't even let it come to room temp.. pour in the wort and the yeast ( both stored in the fridge) and put it on the stir plate.works fine.

Back